Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How to load jpeg image

Started by GameDev.net Oct 5, 1999 at 4:19 AM 8 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
GameDev.net
GameDev.net
How to load jpeg image to direct draw surface (in C, C++)
foofightr
foofightr
Pay the licensing fees required to use the JPEG encryption/decryption algorithms

Nobody is keeping you from learning the file format on your own, and I'm sure there are at least some sources of information on it on the web, but it is quite complicated, and takes a lot of processing power to uncompress, so I wouldn't recommend it.

However, I think that if you were to use JPEG files in a commercial game you would stand to get sued for copyright infringment or something. But nobody is gonna sue you if it's just to learn (which I think it is).

Cromulus
Cromulus
I believe Torval is right. GIF is the one that costs money. After a while, the guys that made it decided that they would start charging for it, hence the creation of PNG files (or so the story goes).

------------------
Visit the homepage of my (soon to be 'net multiplayer) Tank Game at http://members.home.net/chris-man

Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Decrypting ANY file format is perfectly legal and free.

Its just the Encryption that costs money.
The .gif case has gotten rediculous now, because Unisys (is that the gif company?) is now trying to get royalties from anyone who even has one on their web pages.

Of course, this is illegal, and impossible to enforce anyway.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
drago
drago
Is it legal to use .PNG files in commercial/non-commercial games?

------------------
Drago

osu!
foofightr
foofightr
yeah, the GIF thing...

but JPEG comes from the same lovely people that brought you MPEG (motion picture expert group), so wouldnt it have some sorts of restrictions to using it?

oh well.. I still don't recommend using such file formats for games.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.