Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

License to LOL

Started by 1kevgriff May 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM 19 replies 4.5k views
Original Post
1kevgriff
1kevgriff
I haven't seen this pic posted here yet... but I need to know where I can get a pair of these? Missile balloons you tie to the back of your car. You'll be able to drive as fast as you want and every one will get out of your way! EDIT: Fixed imaged to Cypher's link. Thanks! [Edited by - Coaster Kev on May 17, 2006 5:55:24 PM]
Cypher19
Cypher19


rehosted since remote linking was broken.

Anyways, this'd be my reaction to them:

Mushu
Mushu
haha, that's pretty clever. I think I'd buy some if I ever saw them :)
Programmer One
Programmer One
You know what would look funny too? A balloon that looks like a person holding onto a rope. :P
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
or a dog on a leash....
Strider_Hiryu
Strider_Hiryu
or Wile. E. Coyote Chasing you with one of his various ACME gadgets...[grin]
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
paulecoyote
paulecoyote
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
or Wile. E. Coyote Chasing you with one of his various ACME gadgets...[grin]


[grin][grin][grin]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Luckless
Luckless
I'm sure those would break a few laws.

First, you are doing something on purpose to distract other drivers. I'm sure that is a $50-100+ ticket. Then there is the bit about unlicensed trailers that I'm sure a cop that is having a bad day will hit you with.

And then there is also your own safety. Those look like to have them on lines long enough to look good at high speeds, and low speeds they're long enough to touch low wires,...
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
1kevgriff
1kevgriff
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
I'm sure those would break a few laws.

First, you are doing something on purpose to distract other drivers. I'm sure that is a $50-100+ ticket. Then there is the bit about unlicensed trailers that I'm sure a cop that is having a bad day will hit you with.

And then there is also your own safety. Those look like to have them on lines long enough to look good at high speeds, and low speeds they're long enough to touch low wires,...


Ahh.. but where's the fun in being safe? I live near a major Naval Air Base, so there is always a CHANCE. The local police would probably be like "WTF?".
idloco
idloco
with a little luck those things will get stuck on a power line somewhere... thall will be FUN!!!! you will have the sparks and explosions, MORE REALISTIC!!
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
kSquared
kSquared
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
I'm sure those would break a few laws.

First, you are doing something on purpose to distract other drivers. I'm sure that is a $50-100+ ticket.

I doubt you could ticket someone purely for having a distracting modification to their car. Otherwise, where are all the tickets for people that have crappy/outdated bumper stickers ("Vote for Carter!")? Or what about those hippies that paint their vans in obnoxiously loud colors?
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
Max_Payne
Max_Payne
Quote:
Original post by idloco
with a little luck those things will get stuck on a power line somewhere... thall will be FUN!!!! you will have the sparks and explosions, MORE REALISTIC!!


If it touched a power line, the most probable outcome would be that it would bounce off of it, possibly damaging the baloon. It could also rupture the rope holding it, and damage your truck if you tied it to something that isn't solidly attached. That being said, nothing prevents you from making the ropes shorter and only having one baloon.

The lower power lines are insulated, so sorry, no sparks for you!

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
OBeH
OBeH
Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
I'm sure those would break a few laws.

First, you are doing something on purpose to distract other drivers. I'm sure that is a $50-100+ ticket.

I doubt you could ticket someone purely for having a distracting modification to their car. Otherwise, where are all the tickets for people that have crappy/outdated bumper stickers ("Vote for Carter!")? Or what about those hippies that paint their vans in obnoxiously loud colors?


No, but I believe if something extends from your back farther than about a foot, legally you need to put a red flag on it...
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by OBeH
Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
I'm sure those would break a few laws.

First, you are doing something on purpose to distract other drivers. I'm sure that is a $50-100+ ticket.

I doubt you could ticket someone purely for having a distracting modification to their car. Otherwise, where are all the tickets for people that have crappy/outdated bumper stickers ("Vote for Carter!")? Or what about those hippies that paint their vans in obnoxiously loud colors?


No, but I believe if something extends from your back farther than about a foot, legally you need to put a red flag on it...


Maybe not everywhere.

Road laws differ from state to state.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
idloco
idloco
Quote:
Original post by Max_Payne
Quote:
Original post by idloco
with a little luck those things will get stuck on a power line somewhere... thall will be FUN!!!! you will have the sparks and explosions, MORE REALISTIC!!


If it touched a power line, the most probable outcome would be that it would bounce off of it, possibly damaging the baloon. It could also rupture the rope holding it, and damage your truck if you tied it to something that isn't solidly attached. That being said, nothing prevents you from making the ropes shorter and only having one baloon.

The lower power lines are insulated, so sorry, no sparks for you!


ahhh that takes all the FUN! out... :(
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
Luckless
Luckless
Quote:
Original post by idloco
Quote:
Original post by Max_Payne
Quote:
Original post by idloco
with a little luck those things will get stuck on a power line somewhere... thall will be FUN!!!! you will have the sparks and explosions, MORE REALISTIC!!


If it touched a power line, the most probable outcome would be that it would bounce off of it, possibly damaging the baloon. It could also rupture the rope holding it, and damage your truck if you tied it to something that isn't solidly attached. That being said, nothing prevents you from making the ropes shorter and only having one baloon.

The lower power lines are insulated, so sorry, no sparks for you!


ahhh that takes all the FUN! out... :(


most of the 'lower' lines aren't power lines, they're telecom. Most places put them lower than power lines because they are more often worked on.

Also, "insulated" lines aren't much protection, most of the plastic/rubber put on the lines is there more to protect the lines from the weather, and some are even there just to make them easier to handle before they're installed. A year or two after being up, most of those insulation is so rotted and cracked that it offers 0 protection.

Still, something I wish more officers would hand out tickets is for illegal lights. People that add those stupid neon lights to their cars and drive around with them on.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
OBeH
OBeH
Quote:
Original post by BBB
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


So simple, yet so funny. :)
QzarBaron
QzarBaron
I wonder what they look like from different angles. Like directly from the side they look good but maybe from behind you'd be like WTF is that thing. I think it looks good in pictures but I don't know about it on a real car. Still a cool idea though.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
trzy
trzy
Quote:
Original post by Max_Payne
Quote:
Original post by idloco
with a little luck those things will get stuck on a power line somewhere... thall will be FUN!!!! you will have the sparks and explosions, MORE REALISTIC!!


If it touched a power line, the most probable outcome would be that it would bounce off of it, possibly damaging the baloon. It could also rupture the rope holding it, and damage your truck if you tied it to something that isn't solidly attached. That being said, nothing prevents you from making the ropes shorter and only having one baloon.

The lower power lines are insulated, so sorry, no sparks for you!


Power lines are rarely insulated. I've never seen it around here, even with low-hanging ones in residential and commercial areas.
----Bart

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.