Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

The GDNet Dead Poll

Started by Programmer One Jul 24, 2006 at 4:18 AM 21 replies 5.3k views
Original Post
Programmer One
Programmer One
Here is a kind of morbid post for ya. GDNet has like a crap load of member accounts. This basically means that GDNet has a crapload of people visiting the forum. So we have established that there are a lot of people. The question is, that I have been wondering about, just how many of these people don't exist anymore? Like I said this is kind of morbid but somewhat interesting if you think about it. Considering just how many people die each day and how many people there are registered on GDNet...there has to be ghost accounts here. To me it is kind of freaky in a way because one day you could be chatting with somebody on the forums and the next day, they're done - and the freaky part is that you will never really know for certain. Now unless they are well known by Real-Life FriendsTM who also visit the forum, nobody here would really ever know if the guy they are quoting is still alive. IIRC, there have been a few instances where I have heard of some member committing suicide of somehow dying...but...how about the rest?
evolutional
evolutional
I'm dead, they just brought me back as a Zombie.

Edit: And you're right, it is kinda creepy - I guess we'll never know. There have been some sad losses of GDNet members in the past :(
Lode
Lode
That's a problem that comes with all popular forums and MMORPGs. In an MMORPG I play, a pretty famous guy (he was in the top 3 of the highscore of a game played by a few million people) passed away, and a few weeks after we noticed he wasn't rising in the highscores anymore after a new skill was released, a family member posted the news.
Driv3MeFar
Driv3MeFar
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
Real-Life FriendsTM


...People really have those?

Man, I gotta get out more.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Bossk is effectively my dead-man's switch, so if he gets taken out, I'm going to have to find a new meat friend.
Will F
Will F
He's probably still alive, but it looks like Strife is no longer with us (he hasn't posted since October 29, 2005).

Perhaps the Java Development forum needs a new moderator?
Texas Brigade
Texas Brigade
Strife's alive. Check out his homepage. He posted something 3 days ago. But he is absent from GDNet. What about Wavinator? He just kind of dropped off the face off the earth several months ago.
-----------------------------If pi is used to find the dimensions of a pie,Is cak used to find the dimensions of a cake?
Thevenin
Thevenin
You see, this is why I wrote a MMORPG. If I die suddenly, someone is bound to ask "Hey, where is the programmer who is suppose to be fixing the server?".
Strife
Strife
Quote:
Original post by Will F
He's probably still alive, but it looks like Strife is no longer with us (he hasn't posted since October 29, 2005).

Perhaps the Java Development forum needs a new moderator?

Funny, I told Dave that about a year and a half ago or so :P
Will F
Will F
Quote:
Original post by Strife
Quote:
Original post by Will F
He's probably still alive, but it looks like Strife is no longer with us (he hasn't posted since October 29, 2005).

Perhaps the Java Development forum needs a new moderator?

Funny, I told Dave that about a year and a half ago or so :P


">Rhinos
aren't the fastest creatures on Earth. [wink]

Anyways, don't mean any offense to either Strife or Dave with the posts.
sanch3x
sanch3x
Quote:
Original post by DigitalChaos
i find it spookier when i find the myspace pages of those who died

mydeathspace


I looked at the site out of curiosity and I kind of regret it. I checked a page or two and seeing the messages their friends leave... it just hits me. I don't think that their website comes from the "right place" so I kind of find it wrong...

Oh well.

I have to agree on Wavinator, I used to roam the Game Design forum for one of his threads. I haven't seen one in a long time :(
Drakkcon
Drakkcon
I made a thread about this a long time ago, but it wasn't taken very seriously. It is pretty freaky. I wonder if my parents would know whom to tell if I died.
owl
owl
That's why I'm working on making a construct of myself (álà Dixie Flat Line) with the pourpose of let it live on the interweb, so you all can keep enjoying of my charming personality after the worms get me.

I could have died a couple of weeks ago... that was the second time in my life that I almost died and got away without broken bones... What would be of you (mankind) without me? MHh?? :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
fadilthrejk
fadilthrejk
This brings to mind the video of the Serenity Funeral Raid on WoW.

Some girl died, and a bunch of the people held an in-game funeral for her that consisted of them all standing in a line looking stupid.
Then the raid came and it was glorious.

clicky
choffstein
choffstein
Quote:
Original post by DigitalChaos
i find it spookier when i find the myspace pages of those who died

mydeathspace


I thought the site was a joke until I saw someone who lived in my town. The sick part was, people were posting comments on her myspace long after she died. Like, three months after. And not in sympathy -- thinking she was still there.
Thevenin
Thevenin
Ok, now I'm seriously debating delaying the next critical patch to my MMORPG server so that I can write a 30 slide powerpoint presentation for my family to instruct them what to do if I should die on my way to work.

Where would I even begin though. I suppose I could throw in some 3D charts.
dorix
dorix
Quote:
Original post by Thevenin
Ok, now I'm seriously debating delaying the next critical patch to my MMORPG server so that I can write a 30 slide powerpoint presentation for my family to instruct them what to do if I should die on my way to work.

Where would I even begin though. I suppose I could throw in some 3D charts.


From The Onion (note: satire) Project Manager Leaves Suicide PowerPoint Presentation
Thevenin
Thevenin
You know, this is kinda hard. Cause outside family and very close friends, who would actually care if you were gone or not (And by care, I mean, try to find you)?

To this date, I've gotten to know many people who have just suddenly disappeared one day. The most recent case was a pal of mine from another MMORPG, we knew eachother quite well for two years.

Just about every person who asks me how they can develop a MMORPG aswell, disappears after a week or two. And when I think about it, should I even care? I can find new friends quite quickly, and although its emotionally heightening to meet someone you haven't seen in years, its even more emotionally heightening (For me at least) to learn new programming tricks.

Just today I used System.Text.RegularExpressions to write an Imageshack.Us http detector and parser so that people on my MMORPG website can post images on my forums. Would I trade that in for a chat with someone I haven't talked to in two years? Ok, Probably... but it'd be very close.

I really think trying to figure out who is dead or not, on this forum, is wasted time. Figuring out who is "drunken posting" on the other hand, would be in this forum's best interests!

@Staff
'OK' MY PURPOSAL!!11
Luctus
Luctus
Quote:
Original post by Texas Brigade
What about Wavinator? He just kind of dropped off the face off the earth several months ago.


Maybe he's just busy writing that tolkien-length forum post to end all posts...[rolleyes]

But seriously, I miss reading his posts in the design forum.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.