Original Post
Hello, I'm trying to learn more about building a multi server mmorpg environment. I already solved a couple of potential problems I could foresee but it seems obvious to me someone already solved these or had better design ideas. My problem is that I don't come from a networking background and what I learnt, I learnt by trial and error so I don't even know what I should read up on. It's a pretty classic problem I guess when getting serious about a new topic, I can't study some aspect of it or techniques if I don't know they exist. So I'm looking for some suggestions on things I could read about that would help building a multi server mmorpg. Just to give some background, I understand what's involded in running a single server mmorpg with a decent amount of users (decent on an in indie scale). I used to work for a small company running a mmorpg called Star Sonata before I moved on to EA. We were two engineers on the project for a almost a year and so I've touched most aspects of running a mmorpg, from database to networking. I'm trying to do this to get a more formal knowledge of networking and get some real experience in building a multi server mmorpg for learning purposes. Thanks!