Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is your IQ?!?

Started by xissburg Aug 6, 2006 at 6:45 PM 77 replies 22.1k views
Original Post
xissburg
xissburg
I have already seen a lot of crazy ones here that have a suberb knowledge in math and physics and I thought: wow, these ones may have a very high IQ!! Post here your IQ for we to know who you really are :O !! Ah yes...mine is 120...I dont know if it is a low or high or mid IQ :P...Now, its your time ;)
.
nilkn
nilkn
Posting IQ scores will be almost meaningless. A score of 130 on one test may correspond to, say, 140 on another test. Posting percentiles would resolve this issue.

BTW, I don't know what my true IQ is (or what percentile it's at). I've never taken a normal, supervised test, and online ones are too unreliable IMHO.
Mike.Popoloski
Mike.Popoloski
There are plenty of free ones on the internet, and although they may be unreliable, if we all take the test from the same place, we will probably still get a good indication of where we stand. :)
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Ex777
Ex777
111 - thats a online one, and I'm 14. I took it a while back, it said I would be good as an accountant with that IQ or something :P
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by ussnewjersey4
There are plenty of free ones on the internet, and although they may be unreliable, if we all take the test from the same place, we will probably still get a good indication of where we stand. :)

There's always an element of cultural bias in those tests, especially the ones on the Internet. I've taken a few of those tests for fun, and it always annoys me when you get maths questions where the measurements are in feet and miles, or hordes of questions like "Which of these is the odd one out: HACOGIC ENDRVE TOONROT LATESET" [grin]
Mushu
Mushu
83. Apparently I'm suited to be a lumberjack.
Kibble
Kibble
-8 billion. Yes, I am in the 533333333rd standard deviation below average. I am THAT retarded.

After all, thats how retarded you have to be to take an IQ test.

An online one at least.
Ex777
Ex777
Quote:
Original post by Kibble
-8 billion. Yes, I am in the 533333333rd standard deviation below average. I am THAT retarded.

After all, thats how retarded you have to be to take an IQ test.

An online one at least.


:( meanie
PaulCesar
PaulCesar
Offline I was 137 (that was back in highschool) , online I am 143. No idea how that is comparison wise though.
nilkn
nilkn
This is perhaps the most difficult purported IQ test I've ever seen, online or off. [wow] at number 26:

Quote:
What is the maximum number of completely bounded volumes that can be formed by three interpenetrating cubes, considering only the surfaces of the cubes as boundaries and counting only volumes that are not further subdivided?
Alrecenk
Alrecenk
Online iq test scores are meaningless. They don't even have math or physics on them so the fact that I am a math major has no effect (or atleast not nearly as much as it could have) on my score :(

Let's see something like:

iqtest.com : 145
tickle : 138
sparknotes : 193

There is no way my iq is 193, seriously, and tickle was so easy that I don't think it would give a very high score even if you didn't miss anything. iqtest.com was true/false I think, so alot of luck there.

It's my understanding that 100 is supposed to be average, 120 is probably around top 25% ish, and 145+ is the genius mark.


edit: wow, that does look hard, unfortunately there is a 50$ fee to have it graded and it could take a month to complete the test. Ok, so 2 cubes is 7, but I have no idea how to handle the third cube...
K_I_L_E_R
K_I_L_E_R
I scored an IQ of 60 on some random test.
People think that is way too high for me.
giveblood
giveblood
Quote:
edit: wow, that does look hard, unfortunately there is a 50$ fee to have it graded and it could take a month to complete the test. Ok, so 2 cubes is 7, but I have no idea how to handle the third cube...


how can you get 7 volumes out of 2 cubes?

-Chris
Ultimape
Ultimape
my psat and sat scores were 98th percentile, however those scores are likely meaningless because i have good test taking stratagies...
PhilMorton
PhilMorton
Umm, as for the percentile and age remarks...
IQ stands for intelligence quotient, and it is based on your age!
An IQ of 100 means you have average intelligence for your age group.

A kid with 140 IQ at 15 might be smarter than all his mates, but by the time he's 20 he might have an IQ of 100 even if he answers the test exactly the same.

I got 139 on the tickle online test, but I dont think that counts.

Anyway the IQ test is very outdated and doesnt prove very much about something as complex as "intelligence".

The original tests have been shown to include a significant culture bias too.
Allways question authority......unless you're on GameDev.net, then it will hurt your rating very badly so just shut the fuck up.
Shiny
Shiny
I agree with the statements that IQ tests are essentially meaningless when you consider that they have to address cultural norms -- hence, a bushman from the Kalahari would be qualified as mentally deficient on a 'Western' IQ test while if we took a test aimed at his people we'd likely be in the same boat.

That said, Mensa tested the top graduates from our Highschool (some ... 4/5 years ago) and according to them, I ranked 140+ -- though I haven't taken other (read: online) tests to see whether or not this figure can be established as a useful measure.


~Shiny

P.S. I know a little about psychology and the problems with framing IQ tests -- you guys should check out the background on how IQ was first theorised, and what it has been used for as a qualifier in the past -- bit disheartening.
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Raghar
Raghar
What is currently used as IQ test is in fact MidIQ test. It's averaged at population level. It has strong correlation with study on University, this is why it was used, to give hints and disallow to throw away potential excellent candidates, if they had extremely mediocre, or poor result at a lower school.

Of course, because IQ tests are implying someone might be dumb, these are controversial. People could rather sucessfully study brain needed university even if IQ 80-90, however the difference then need to prepare for classes is 14 hours.

Low IQ score could also mean some brain damage, bad eyesight (and idiocy of the experimentator), or temporal damage caused by unemeployment, or bad school system.

etothex
etothex
Quote:
Original post by Alrecenk
Online iq test scores are meaningless. They don't even have math or physics on them so the fact that I am a math major has no effect (or atleast not nearly as much as it could have) on my score :(


Quote:

I agree with the statements that IQ tests are essentially meaningless when you consider that they have to address cultural norms -- hence, a bushman from the Kalahari would be qualified as mentally deficient on a 'Western' IQ test while if we took a test aimed at his people we'd likely be in the same boat.


Well, the thing is that an "ideal" IQ test only measures intelligence and not knowledge. So while an education may have increased your capacity for intelligence, simply knowing more should not increase your score. So questions concerning mathematics (even algebra) or tribal hunting techniques are out.

Most IQ tests (especially online ones) are far from ideal, though. Which is why their scores are always to be taken with a grain of salt. Their primary purpose is to classify people into categories of "mentally disabled", "below average intelligence", "average intelligence", "above average intelligence" etc for various purposes.
Kibble
Kibble
Quote:
Original post by Nice Coder
Quote:
Original post by nilkn
This is perhaps the most difficult purported IQ test I've ever seen, online or off. [wow] at number 26:

Quote:
What is the maximum number of completely bounded volumes that can be formed by three interpenetrating cubes, considering only the surfaces of the cubes as boundaries and counting only volumes that are not further subdivided?


This is simple enough, just a matter of visualisation.

imagine three cubes, which penetrate each other. (so imagine say three cubes which move towards a point until they all penetrate each other. You then look for the number of volumnes which are made up between the surfaces of the cubes).

The answer is three.

Thats funny how its such a simple matter of visualization when the answer is at LEAST 13. You can make 13 volumes with 2 cubes. I can't prove to myself I've found the maximum number of volumes for 3 cubes.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.