Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Another Randomized Game Thread

Started by Vanquish Aug 16, 2006 at 1:43 AM 2 replies 950+ views
Original Post
Vanquish
Vanquish
Since I didnt get much response in the other thread, I was hoping you brainiacs could expound on my request: ------------------------------------------ There was a thread awhile back about self-creating story engines that created dynamic content. One of the links I posted was an article by the designer of one of the best roque-likes, GearHead. In my current project, Im separating quests (story-driven adventuring) from missions (action-driven adventuring). I would like for our missions to be based on elements that could be recombined on the fly over and over, but still be fresh. I really think it depends on the sheer number of categories and options that you pull from. Here's what Ive come up with...please add more if you can think of any: Enemies # of enemies spawn location difficulty weapons weaknesses Objectives # of objectives placement difficulty skills required Dangers/Obstacles Bombs Traps fall, locked in Pits Locks Rewards amt of money weapons ammo wearables information faction changes Location Starting location Other locations involved Faction Involvement Formal involvement Informal invovement Faction fighting with itself Scripted Events Cutscene NPC animation Methods of Achieving Main Goal Science Force Persuasion Stealth Map Variables Size of Map Number of wings to building Number of rooms ...im sure there are more, add some :)
Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion StudiosTeam Lead - CONFLICT: Omega A Post-Apocalyptic MMO ProjectJoin our team! Positions still available.CONFLICT:Omega
TwistedMind
TwistedMind
I would go on it, in a different way!
First decide what kind of missions would I like in the game, like rescue missions, assault missions, etc.

Then define in each category of misions, what could be made randomized.
Example:
In a rescue mission, it could be the location where the rescue take place,
the specific building at that location(if it matters in the game),
the type of character to rescue (could influence the type of location),
possible enemies, how many, and maybe how they could be dealt with to succeed the mission.

...Hope it gave sense!
We only have the power to change the future, not the past. That's why we should learn from our mistakes, and be given the change to show we have learned from them.
headfonez
headfonez
Time
How much time has passed in between significant events
Traveling through time
SuperNerd
SuperNerd
Map Variables
Time of day
Weather
Battle scars
Number of buildings, walls, trees

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.