Original Post
Hi Guys. First off I would like to apologise for this thread, as this question has probably been asked several times. I have been stuffing around with C++ for a few years now on and off and I have an alright handle of it. I've always wanted to use directX for games, but tried to learn it a couple of times and it just went over my head. I tried again recently and I got a lot more of it but it was still just out of my reach. I want to make a 2D game, simply because it is easier on my questionable graphics skills and (supposedly) on my questionable programming skills. What I'm looking for are some tutorials specifically designed for 2D in direct3D 9. What I really like the sound of is hardware accelerated alpha, rotation and scaling (which libraries like SDL don’t provide, without OpenGL). I've been doing some reading (Forum FAQ, This GameDev article) and what I seem to believe is that using things like ID3DXSprite and the like don't allow for hardware alpha etc. (Reading this implies to me that I have to use "Regular 3D geometry via an orthographic projection" in order to achieve this.) So if anybody here can either dispel the myth that pre-transformed vertexes are exempt from hardware acceleration or can point me to some good tutorials that use "Regular 3D geometry via an orthographic projection" that would be most helpful. Cheers Jacob