Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is there a way of plugging many old hard drives into one computer

Started by johnnyBravo Aug 24, 2006 at 4:30 AM 8 replies 2k views
Original Post
johnnyBravo
johnnyBravo
I've got 12+ old harddrives and I was wondering if there is a way to plug them all into one computer?
kSquared
kSquared
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
I've got 12+ old harddrives and I was wondering if there is a way to plug them all into one computer?

Assuming the target drives are IDE and the target computer has at least one USB port, you would get a setup like this:

              +-----{USB 2.0}----[drive enclosure 1]              |              |         ...[USB hub]-----+              |              |              +-----{USB 2.0}----[drive enclosure 12]


Then connect the USB hub to your computer with a standard USB cable. Twelve drives is a lot of drives to simultaneously connect to your computer, though.

hope that helps,
- k2 "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ<
Ravuya
Ravuya
USB is a terrible idea for this quantity of drive (it'll choke repeatedly). I'd go with Firewire if you're using the external enclosure system.

You'll probably need an extra power supply to run all the drives if you decide to go with an ATA controller card.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Here's what I'm currently doing:



1) Get a huge case. HUGE. CM Stacker. 12x5.25" bays.
2) It comes with one 3-bay-to-4-hard-drive adapter, with a 120mm fan on it.
3) Get two more of these adapters.
4) Get an IDE controller card. 2 connectors = 4xIDE
5) Get a motherboard with lots of SATA connectors too (7xSATA).
6) Make sure you have a power supply that's good enough to power it all.
7) ASSEMBLE!


motherboard capacity: 7xSATA, 2xIDE
controller capacity: 4xIDE
case capacity: 2x5.25, 12x3.5
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
CpMan
CpMan
Consolidate your data. You'll probably spend more money on cards and power supplies or enclosures or stuff like that than you will on one or two big drives.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by CpMan
Consolidate your data. You'll probably spend more money on cards and power supplies or enclosures or stuff like that than you will on one or two big drives.


Unless, of course, you're building a new computer and needed those parts anyways...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Jarrod1937
Jarrod1937
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
I've got 12+ old harddrives and I was wondering if there is a way to plug them all into one computer?


my only question is why would you want to plugin 12+ really slow hard drives into one system?

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Nemesis2k2
Nemesis2k2
With 12 old HDD's, expect at least one of them to die every 6 months.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Nemesis2k2
With 12 old HDD's, expect at least one of them to die every 6 months.

I suspect they've probably been left in the closet, and are stuck solid or at least highly defective.

It's probably not worth the effort.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.