Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Why is the Windows 32 SDK needed?

Started by Dave FF Sep 1, 2006 at 4:07 PM 2 replies 900+ views
Original Post
Dave FF
Dave FF
If my question doesn't clue you in, let me just say that I am a complete beginner with computer programming, so this is probably a very naive question. I've downloaded the 2005 Express Edition of VC++ to learn C++. I noticed that the Express edition also gives me access to Microsoft's Net framework for programming Windows applications already, in addition to the ability to do console applications. So why would I need to download the Windows 32-bit SDK program to do programming in Windows? Can't I simply use the Net framework for developing Windows applications, particularly since it is already part of the Express edition? Dave FF
Scet
Scet
Quote:
Original post by Dave FF
So why would I need to download the Windows 32-bit SDK program to do programming in Windows? Can't I simply use the Net framework for developing Windows applications, particularly since it is already part of the Express edition?


Who said you need to download it? You can use .Net and WinForms without the Win32 SDK.
SirKnight
SirKnight
Quote:
Can't I simply use the Net framework for developing Windows applications, particularly since it is already part of the Express edition?


Yes you sure can.

I'm guessing you're talking about the Platform SDK? That is needed for developing windows apps using the old APIs (Win32 and MFC). If you want to use .NET, you don't need the Platform SDK. The express edition of Visual C++ or Visual C# is all you need. I would recommend sticking with .NET since it's much simpler to make windows apps with it than it used to be with Win32 and MFC. MFC was ok I thought, but .NET is much better.
Dave FF
Dave FF
Scet and SirKnight,

Thanks for your responses. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important by using the Net framework for windows, rather than using the Win32 SDK framework. Since it's all new to me anyway, I guess I might as well start out learning the newer Net framework for Windows.

Dave FF

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.