Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Hello

Started by -Bliss- Sep 3, 2006 at 8:33 PM 7 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
Didn't really want to post this in the For Beginners section, as it didn't really seem like the place... Anyway, I came here at the advice of the president of Epic Games... I went to a discussion panel at Dragon Con yesterday, and he was there, along with people from Red Storm Entertainment, and another group, discussing 'How to Break into the Gaming Industry'. I've been programming in C/C++ and a little Java for over a year now. C++ was self-taught, and has majorly influenced my coding style, which has been dubbed 'outlandish, yet effective' by my Java programming instructor at college. I like programming, and I LOVE games. Creating my own has always been something that I've wanted to do. I've been getting into 3D modeling recently as well, and a few weeks ago, I was sitting there staring at a nifty, yet simple spacecraft on my screen and had an impulsive urge to make a game where I could at least fly it around. After reading some things on GameDev, I guess I'll need to start with the simple, and work my way up to 3D... but it's something that I believe to be worth it. So anyway, 'Hi'.
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
Welcome! And glad to see you're not wanting to make a MMORPG. GameDev is the perfect community for the up and coming game programmer, or even just non-game programmers. People here are learned form all walks of life, and offer the collective advice of hundreds of years experience in almost any laungage. They offer helpful prods in the right direction when needed, and constructive criticism when asked. GameDev.net is merely that, the game developement network of almost all programming knowledge. Whether you be new or a long time programmer, this place will aid you immensely.
xeddiex
xeddiex
Welcome aboard and don't forget to sign up for the Atlanta GDNet Gathering group (I just did yesterday =)).

- xeddiex
one..
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
Thanks for the warm welcome (and advice). :)

I'll look into the Atlanta GDNet gathering too.

I'm wanting to start really small because I've not the slightest clue as to how to integrate graphics and code. I'm pretty decent at both, but am fairly lost as far as that goes. Once I get a warm fuzzy, I'll probably go to something like a 2D scrolling shooter, but that all depends on how quick I pick up on everything.

I was browsing the Ping tutorial earlier... hopefully, that'll help get my feet wet.

As far as getting into the industry goes... I know it's not all glamour, etc. Of course, there is some glamour at places like E3, but I'm well aware that it is work. As far as I can tell though, the game developers I've met have the sort of personality I get along with well, and it's been something I've wanted to do for a good while, so.... here I am. :)
jbadams
jbadams
Welcome to GDNet. [smile]
- Jason Astle-Adams
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
Hahaha, I saw that topic. I'm just glad I didn't get a bunch of Okay's like he did.

I was expecting to see some kind of drama in the post, but was disappointed, yet relieved, that there wasn't any to be found.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
Hey, cool... there are other sane people in this state [smile]


Welcome to GDNet. Listen to everyone who's already posted, they said good stuff.
Laptoper
Laptoper
Hi there, the people in this thread are too emotional.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.