Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Steve Irwin IS DEAD!

Started by dwarfsoft Sep 3, 2006 at 11:37 PM 85 replies 21.5k views
Original Post
dwarfsoft
dwarfsoft
Breaking News! Steve Irwin is believed to have been killed by a stingray barb. Knowing how difficult it would be to get stabbed by a stingray barb I find this absolutely unbelievable... however, it is Steve Irwin we are talking about. Condolences to his family, but seriously, I am glad he isn't going to be giving Australians a bad name. I was banking on his face getting by a Crocodile, but you live, you learn...
Deranged
Deranged
I was just about to post this story.

All I can say is... This is what you get when you make a living out of fucking with dangerous animals. I'm amazed he lived this long really.
ChaosGhost
ChaosGhost
Tis True

I don't beleive he ever gave Australians a bad name. He was an energetic, fun, good bloke, who simply did what others feared to do.

Condolences to his family, he will be missed.

[Edited by - ChaosGhost on September 4, 2006 12:44:31 AM]
BradDaBug
BradDaBug
NNNNNOOOOOO!!! This is awful. He was my favorite Australian.
I like the DARK layout!
Ravuya
Ravuya
I kind of figured it was coming, but not so early. I expect he'll be really missed by his family.
Kaze
Kaze
sad but i kinda saw this one coming
okonomiyaki
okonomiyaki
This is really sad!! In all respect, wouldn't this be how he wanted to go though?
Pouya
Pouya
[bawling]

I loved his shows. Animal Planet will never be the same again.

I remember how the Australians I talked to were annoyed because they claimed they don't talk like him.
Will F
Will F
Crikey!

I'm going to genuinely miss that guy.
joanusdmentia
joanusdmentia
I found out about 30 mins ago....while my dentist had a saw in my mouth. Needless to say I grew concerned when she said she hadn't like this since princess Diana died.

This is a sad day, but somewhat expected....
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The nly verdict is vengeance; a vendett o
Densun
Densun
That sucks. He seemed so invincable on TV.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
This is really shocking. I also feel sad for his poor family, especially with the inevitable media circus that's going to be hounding them over the next week or two.
Toolmaker
Toolmaker
He will be missed... [bawling]
 
Fruny
Fruny
[sad]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
dwarfsoft
dwarfsoft
One thing I am waiting for though... seeing as this happened while he was shooting a Doco, how long will it be before the footage is available on Google Video or the Toobs.

According to the story I just heard on the radio, he was stabbed in the HEART by a stingray barb, which is highly unlikely to most people, though for Irwins bold antics not entirely as unforseen.

Quote:
from Wikipedia

Dasyatids do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up, usually into the offending foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung "accidentally" by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. It is possible for ray stings to be fatal if they sever major arteries, are in the chest or pelvic region, or are improperly treated. Their stingers are normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks.


Wikipedia: Stingray

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.