Original Post
This problem holds some specifics, like API etc. I do suspect it's a general database issue though, so anyone knowledgable in databases, please read the entire post. For some specifics. I'm writing an application with some database access, using wxWidgets (2.6.3) and its ODBC wxDb classes (probably not important information in this post). MySQL 5 community edition serves as the database backend. This is my first attempt at databases and SQL, so I'm a database layman just trying to get things to work.. In my program a timer is running every few seconds checking a database if there are new "requests" that need to be processed. This works fine for the requests (the database rows) already inserted in the table BEFORE connecting to the database and these are all processed in order. The problem is if I add new requests to the database table, while the application is still connected to the database, it just doesn't detect these newly added requests. Subsequent queries keep returning empty results. I have to reconnect to the database for the new rows to be detected and processed. The plan is that multiple application instances will be running on different machines, with some other application concurrently feeding new rows into the database tables. The current behaviour is really starting to scare me. Is this some sort of local caching behaviour? Can I disable it? I've blindly tried fiddling some caching options in MySQL and the ODBC driver without any success.. If anyone's got some database experience and a possible explaination as to what I'm experiencing.. it'd be very insightful! Thanks, Christer PS. I have posted on the wxWidgets forum, but in general replies there are rather slow and like I've said I'm suspecting it's not a wxWidgets issue, but some sort of database functionality design philosophy I don't get.