Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Artist looking for coder and writer for isometric RPG

Started by plaurits Sep 12, 2006 at 3:56 AM 6 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
plaurits
plaurits
Brief description: I've been toying with the idea of creating a computer game for a long time now, my game interest mostly revolves around the graphical aspect though, so i would really love to team up with a coder and a talented writer (who is more fluent in English than i am). A single player isometric RPG is what i have in mind, but of course i'm very open to other ideas too :) Target aim: A working demo would be fantastic! However i'm trying to be realistic here, so some moving graphics on a screen would also be really nice. Compensation: Fun! and a new friend ;) Technology: I was hoping to make this a homebrew project for maybe the PSP/GP2X/Dreamcast(or whatever console you are comfortable with), however if that isn't realistic a PC/Mac/Linux version would be just fine. Talent needed: Writer - Someone to write dialog, story, and develop characters/gameplay/tactics. Coder - Someone who knows (or would like to learn) about isometric console programming. Team structure: Only myself right now, i'll take care of anything graphics related (2D/3D). By keeping the team very small i hope we can make decisions in a democratic way. Contacts: If you have any questions/comments you can just reply here in this thread or mail me at: plaurits(at)gmail.com Additional Info: I've made some test graphics to visualize what game style i had in mind, its made of 64*32 tiles but of course i can change that when we know the screen resolution of our target platform. As you can see the ground is flat right now, but if you are up for a challenge we can make different hights in the game map too. ***image*** My server is dead, so i have to use googlepages, im sorry http://plaurits.googlepages.com/isorpg Feedback: Anything really, i'm new to all this so any advice would be a help to me (But please keep it constructive). Thank you. [Edited by - plaurits on September 12, 2006 4:37:57 AM]
jjd
jjd
You might want to elaborate on the game. So far we know it's an isometric RPG, but little else. I guess if I were to infer something from the graphic, it would be a cosplay, garden party sim... so perhaps you should provide a little more info :-)
JRavey
JRavey
Hmm...a cosplay, garden sim; you might be onto something there. There's probably a bigger niche market than we think.
屋根を固定するために何パンケーキそれは取るか。紫色、ヘビに足がないばい。
plaurits
plaurits
Quote:
Original post by jjd
I guess if I were to infer something from the graphic, it would be a cosplay, garden party sim... so perhaps you should provide a little more info :-)


If you are asking for a plot/story i'm afraid i have to disappoint you, because i was really hoping to find a writer for this task. Of course i could easily come up with something about saving the world and a princess, but really, haven't we seen enough of that already? I don't really have a talent for writing, but many people do, so this is a chance for an aspiring fantasy writer (with no coding/graphical skills) to join a team, and hopefully see her/his ideas realized in a game.

Please remember that im not seeking someone to just 'make a game for me' but rather someone to team up with on equal basis. However if this is the wrong way of doing things, please let me know!

But yeah, lets just call it a cosplay garden party sim until (if) i find a writer, at least its an original idea :-)
jjd
jjd
If you don't have an idea for the game that's fine, I won't be disappointed :-) However, that isn't necessarily the job of a writer or anything to do with writing. I'm just talking about a general idea about what the game will be, and what features you'd like to include in it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have to have those elements in your post. You want to hook up with someone and figure this stuff out, sweet! Go for it! However, you are more likely to attract team members, and have a successful project, if you have a clear idea of what it is that you'd like to achieve.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Good luck!
plaurits
plaurits
Quote:
Original post by jjd
However, you are more likely to attract team members, and have a successful project, if you have a clear idea of what it is that you'd like to achieve.

Yes, that is a bit of a dilemma i'm afraid. But lets say i go for the 'saving the world and princess' theme and i write down a clear plot and gameplay with all details sorted out, wouldn't that just scare away all the creative and competent writers who thinks my lousy story/english sucks?

However the larger guidelines are already set, as i would prefer an rpg theme with magic and such, maybe crossed with animal characters like in starfox! But really im open to all ideas.
plaurits
plaurits
Hi, i would just like to say thanks for all your mails and PM's, it looks like i have found a writer to help me with a story/concept already.

And taking jjd's advice into account, i think it might be best to wait a little before we start looking for a coder. Of course if there is an eager PSP/GP2X/Dreamcast coder out there somewhere you are still very welcome to mail me :)

Thank you all.
JayeAeotiv
JayeAeotiv
I've been looking for you!

My qualifications:

1.) I'm a coder.
2.) I'm a coder.
3.) I love isometrics.
4.) I'm a coder.
5.) goto #1

Ok, seriously now.

I've written several isometric rendering engines in C++ back in the day. I made a very over simplified isometric map editor as well. Nothing ever came of them, just proof of concepts and such. I never had any art I could make anything interesting with... just solid colored iso tiles and funky looking sprites.

I know a good bit of C++. I've never done any professional C++ work, can't seem to find a market that's hiring, but I've been a C++ hobbyst for years.

I'm a professional C# and Java software developer. I write interop stuff between a J2EE server and a C# client.

I'm Java certified (SCJP) (I make excellent coffee)

I don't have any experience writing applications on a console system, but I do own a dream cast.

My primary operating system is linux. So I do prefer java development. If java is unacceptable I prefer C++ to C# .Net. If you want me to do this in C++, then I can. I can test it on my XP Pro Box every few builds. Note I'll test for bugs on my main dev machine and I'll make sure it runs on windows.

It would be very much appreciated if you could design your art for a multilayerd world map (flat is a bit dull).

I look forward to hearing from you,

J



--before honor is humility--

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.