Original Post
Hi all! My experience so far with games development (or any development for that matter) has been Windows-only. For my next project, I'm writing a networked game and it's one that that I'd actually like to get hosted which means that at least the server needs to run on Unix / Linux. I have searched high and low on Google and I can find lots and lots of articles about cross platform development but they all seem to be focusing on the code, and not the setup. I'll be using SDL for graphics and sound, the new boost::asio library (only just been accepted) for networking, boost::filesystem and various other bits and bobs. These libraries, are not the problem - I don't know how to set things up and get started! The last project I did had a server, a client and an editor. Server and client were both C++ and the editor was C#. This next project will be similar but I'll also have projects for tests. In the last project I just used Visual Studio. I had a project for each application and they were all loaded into a solution. As I built the software I just added files to my respective projects and building was a matter of just pressing F7! So, I have dug out an old PC, installed Fedora Core 5 on it, and have the Gnome and KDE desktops available. I've seen that KDE even comes with a shiny copy of KDevelop which looks quite yummy. Currently I have subversion installed on my Windows box which I access locally. I want to develop from a single code base but be able to build and test under both environments. So, I assume that I need to setup a pserver thingy for subversion so I can access it on both machines but what I am really confused about, is how to I setup and arrange the actual code in my projects so that I can build them under two completely different environments? Do I put all the source code in one place, and then have separate directories for the os-specific project files? So, have a visual studio directory which contains the project and solution files, and a linux directory which has the make (?) files? And on the subject of make, tell me I don't need to write make files, please! Under Visual Studio, I just add new files to the projects, and press a button to build. Can KDevelop do something similar? I had to use make files at Uni and I'm sure I aged 10 years! :-) Any help much appreciated, Caroline M.