Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

pac man....

Started by da madface Sep 21, 2006 at 3:31 PM 26 replies 4.7k views
Original Post
da madface
da madface
hi.... Im a new member of dis forum... Well, i wanna create a game like pac man...but I want change the faces of da logos.. do u know how make it?
da madface
da madface
ok, pac man is an old game
and, there are faces which is eatin up shits
so, I want to change the faces
and maybe the stage and all dat...
Crazyfool
Crazyfool
Do you know any programming what so ever?

If not - learn! Choose a language you prefer and then start learning. Once you do, you can start worrying about making games. Games programming is very difficult yet fun and rewarding.
da madface
da madface
ok, escuse me
could u help me doin' it
I need to know wht softwares I need...and all...
thx advance...
Crazyfool
Crazyfool
Start off by browsing gamedevs article section, and especially yhe "For Beginners" part. Here as it will help you a great deal.

To be honest, you're a ways off being able to program a working game. If you are completely new to programming, you can try an easier language like VB, but if you feel like you can handle some more complex things (and you are patient), you can try Java, C# or C++. To get a free compiler for VB, C# or C++, go to microsoft.com and search for the express edition for compilers. Java has a very nice free IDE off of its website, too.

To learn how to program.. do a google search for whatever language you want.
da madface
da madface
I thought I could download da pac man game...
and modify all into wit a certain software...
Sneftel
Sneftel
No. There are a variety of reasons why you can't, but most of them you wouldn't understand. The bottom line is just no, you can't.
Prototype
Prototype
Respect to da PAcMan yo.
BIG UP YOURSELF!!11
da madface
da madface
so, wht do u advise me to do?
knowin' I want get a game like pac man....but wit different faces...
Sneftel
Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by da madface
so, wht do u advise me to do?
knowin' I want get a game like pac man....but wit different faces...

I advise you to honestly evaluate whether you're willing to spend a significant amount of time (months) learning complicated principles of software development and graphics programming. Because that's how you do it. If you believed (as many do) that making games was a process akin in difficulty to playing games, I'm sorry to have to be the one to disabuse you of this belief.
da madface
da madface
and why I can't modify da pac man game?
damm....if ur serious i'll get pissed-off...cuz, I was asked to make a game like dat..
and I have no time to spend...im workin' hard on other things...

[Edited by - da madface on September 21, 2006 7:43:26 PM]
Foobar of Integers
Foobar of Integers
yo dudes, on a related note, is dere a way dat I can modify my pong game so da paddle has like some spinnas and a wing and shits? that'd be mad tight.

Edit:



I apologize to any parties that horribly thrown together image might offend.

[Edited by - Foobar of Integers on September 21, 2006 8:18:00 PM]
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Foobar of Integers
yo dudes, on a related note, is dere a way dat I can modify my pong game so da paddle has like some spinnas and a wing and shits? that'd be mad tight.

You should download and install the ghettoizer libraries for your operating system and compiler. OpenGhetto has been popular in the past as a means of visualizing scientific bling, but DirectGhetto is gaining popularity among users of Microsoft development envrionments.

For the OP: Game development is very difficult, and yet exceptionally rewarding, like playing chess with yourself while upside down underwater. I think you could probably have a reasonable Pac-Man clone within a few months of effort.
da madface
da madface
by the way......
check dis out!
No spam please, we're British.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by da madface
so, wht do u advise me to do?
knowin' I want get a game like pac man....but wit different faces...


Okay, the first thing you need to do is get an HTML SDK. HTML is currently the hottest programming language out there. Companies like Google and Microsoft are making a fortune from it.

Then, once you do that, you need to learn how to write Z80 ASM in HTML format, as well as getting a USB dongle to serialize your XML metacode into Pac Man.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
da madface
da madface
man...i got you
thx for da help...
yo...send me a message, my mail is dakilltostreet@yahoo.fr
like dat, u could give me more info...
it's serious...
dwarfsoft
dwarfsoft
Quote:
Original post by da madface
and why I can't modify da pac man game?
damm....if ur serious i'll get pissed-off...cuz, I was asked to make a game like dat..
and I have no time to spend...im workin' hard on others things...


He is serious. You can't modify a game because its illegal. It's an infringement of copyright at the very least.

To build a game, that is entirely different. You need to learn to program (as stated earlier, try reading the For Beginners Section on this site, also download the express edition compilers from microsoft OR go to Java.Com and download Netbeans).

You then need to spend some time programming the hello world style programs, learning how classes/procedures/functions/variables/structures etc work... once you understand these things then you move on to graphics... once you learn graphics you are in a position to work on the game in a prototype sense. This will get you to a similar stage to looking at the graphics on a screen. You then need to work on gameplay/AI and game rules (when the game completes).

That is a fairly broad overview. It's not authoritative, but should help you.

P.S. I hope I didn't use any big words or correct spellings that may have confused you.
da madface
da madface
and, if i want do something illegal?
Bucket_Head
Bucket_Head
It seems most people here think madface wants to make his own Pac-Man game with his own sprites, but that's not what I see here. It sounds to me like he just wants to end up with a Pac-Man game whose sprites he can control.

Madface, why not just google to find and download some homemade Pac-Man clones (there must be dozens out there at least), find one that loads in bitmap files for the sprites, and then go edit those yourself? You might even be able to find one that reads in levels from text files, so you could edit those too.

I think sometimes we get a little overzealous in pushing people down the game programming path, when it's not necessarily what people are asking for...

Sneftel, you had said he can't edit Pac-Man data -- I'm wondering if you're referring to copyrights? If he's simply making modifications for personal use, does that violate copyrights any more than making a clone of the game would?
Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad's car was delicious!"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.