Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Serenity or Firefly fans out there?

Started by nsmadsen Sep 23, 2006 at 9:58 AM 53 replies 5.8k views
Original Post
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
Hey guys, I was just wondering who among us are Firefly or Serenity fans? Before the movie came out in 05, I had never ever heard of the show and wasn't a fan of Joss Whedon. Not on purpose, I just never got into Buffy and missed the entire season of Firefly on TV. So years later there is this interesting looking new Sci-Fi movie with people I've never heard. I got and see it with my wife and we LOVED it! :) Then we found out it was a TV show before, so we checked that out as well... and not suprisingly we loved it as well. For me there were several things I really liked about the movie and show: 1) While it is set in the future, it is a future that seems realistic. Things are breaking down, not everything is super polished. The technology is better, but not super far fetched like some other Sci-Fi shows. Not that there is anything wrong with that- it was just refreshing. 2) No crazy alien races. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that- it was just refreshing. 3) Most importatly- great characters with all sorts of genre mixed in (suspense, Sci-Fi, humor, drama). So- now that I've convinced everyone on here how much of a nerd I am- what do you think? :)
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
Agony
Agony
I agree, and Fox needs to die. That show should have been far longer than it was.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas nly, and not for things themselves." - John Locke o
johnnyBravo
johnnyBravo
try cowboy bebop, its kinda similar, though its anime.
BeanDog
BeanDog
I saw the movie earlier this year, then watched it with every other sci-fi fan I knew who would sit down to watch it. Great movie. I never did see the TV shows, although I heard they ran the entire season non-stop on the Sci-Fi channel not too long ago. But I don't get that channel :'-(
oliii
oliii
Really like the show and movie. Refreshing, interesting characters and stories, original in some respects, and not afraid of breaking a few rules. It's not really Sci-Fi for me, more like a Western set in Space :)
Everything is better with Metal.
Luckless
Luckless
I love it, I still haven't seen the movie, but we'll fix that problem soon enough I hope.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Chinese + English
Space Opera + Western
Nautical + Spaceflight

Firefly/Serenity was a solid combination of key elements. Personally I found Serenity more interesting than Firefly (admittedly, I only gave the series premiere about 15 minutes to register).

P.S. Gina Torres is hot!
bit64
bit64
Quote:
Personally I found Serenity more interesting than Firefly (admittedly, I only gave the series premiere about 15 minutes to register).



Wow, I thought Firefly was much better than Serenity. Serenity was entertaining, but there was just something missing. The characters just didn't seem themselves in the movie. Of course the series had several hours to build those characters up so maybe its not a fair comparison, but I still sing the "Ballad of Jayne Cobb" :)
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
I saw the movie and was impressed enough to watch the series. I actually like the series better (but of course it has more time to develop characters). It's a shame it was cancelled. It's probably my favorite Sci-Fi TV series. It was almost perfect.
Cypher19
Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
try cowboy bebop, its kinda similar, though its anime.


"Kind of" similar? It's just a hair away from being Firefly The Animated Series!
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
I knew it was going to be a good show when, near the end of the first episode, Mal walks onto the ship, finds Kaylee being held hostage, and shoots her hostage taker in the head without loosing stride.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
try cowboy bebop, its kinda similar, though its anime.


"Kind of" similar? It's just a hair away from being Firefly The Animated Series!


You really haven't seen either series, have you?
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
I Like Bread
I Like Bread
Meh, it was OK.
I like Farscape better. It ended the same way: unexpectedly cancelled and rushed near the end. Both had a good cast and believeable drama but Farscape had a vastly more interesting universe.
______Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
owl
owl
I loved both. If I'm not wrong, Anachronox came first...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
try cowboy bebop, its kinda similar, though its anime.


"Kind of" similar? It's just a hair away from being Firefly The Animated Series!


You really haven't seen either series, have you?


That thought crossed through my mind too.

Firefly is country-western, more like "Gone with the Wind" in space, except it begins long after the war rather then running parallel to it the way that GWTW does.

Bebop is fscking bebop! Hot jazz and electric blues, with a dash of magic mushrooms thrown in. More like a Steve McQueen movie, for example, Bullit.

Imo, both shows are well worth watching.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
try cowboy bebop, its kinda similar, though its anime.


"Kind of" similar? It's just a hair away from being Firefly The Animated Series!


You really haven't seen either series, have you?


That thought crossed through my mind too.

Firefly is country-western, more like "Gone with the Wind" in space, except it begins long after the war rather then running parallel to it the way that GWTW does.

Bebop is fscking bebop! Hot jazz and electric blues, with a dash of magic mushrooms thrown in. More like a Steve McQueen movie, for example, Bullit.

Imo, both shows are well worth watching.


At this point in time, I've basically become adept at detailing just how many differences there are between Firefly and the anime series it rips off.

Unless somebody brings up sailor moon, because lets face it, we ALL know that Firefly is a blatent ripoff of sailor moon.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
okonomiyaki
okonomiyaki
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Chinese + English
Space Opera + Western
Nautical + Spaceflight


Aah, that's what language they are speaking, chinese? I always wondered that. Such a cool element to add to the show.

I haven't met one person who didn't like the show (well, one girl, but she's stupid...). Everything that should be said about it has been said, so that's all I have to say.

LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by okonomiyaki
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Chinese + English
Space Opera + Western
Nautical + Spaceflight


Aah, that's what language they are speaking, chinese? I always wondered that. Such a cool element to add to the show.


They are supposed to be cussing, but since I don't know Chinese and at the moment don't know anyone that understands Chinese, I can't say for certain.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by okonomiyaki
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Chinese + English
Space Opera + Western
Nautical + Spaceflight


Aah, that's what language they are speaking, chinese? I always wondered that. Such a cool element to add to the show.


They are supposed to be cussing, but since I don't know Chinese and at the moment don't know anyone that understands Chinese, I can't say for certain.


It is Chinese, and they ARE cussing, although sometimes its more... really disturbing phrases than actual swearing. I'm able to pick out a few words, but listening to the commentary tracks helps too.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.