Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Transparency

Started by Qoy Nov 22, 1999 at 5:08 PM 4 replies 900+ views
Original Post
Qoy
Qoy
I am writing a simple game, and I am planning on using 32 bit color for it. I noticed that DirectDraw color keys can only hold 8 bit color values, so I was wondering, is there any way to use color keys with 16 or 32 bit color? If not, then how do you do transparency with 32 bit color?

------------------
http://qoy.tripod.com

Josh Neta
Josh Neta
I suggest you take another look at the docs. Colorkeys in DDraw are DWORDs.

Josh

Qoy
Qoy
Hey, I can't believe I didn't notice that... Thanks for the help
mmcconnell
mmcconnell
Direct Draw does not have built in support for alpha transparency. You'll need to write your own blitter or use Direct3D.
Melo
Melo
You should read the "MMX enhanced alpha blending"-Article if you want to write your own Alpha Blitter. It is very good.
Josh Neta
Josh Neta
He just wanted simple colorkeying... no need to look up alphablitting.

Josh

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.