Original Post
Hello All! I am a year 3 Computer Games Technology student and currently in the process of choosing my final year project. This, obviously, holds a significant amount of marks towards my degree grade and as such, would like to go into this with the best possible preparation. The idea that I am set on is based on destructible environments, namely a building. The following things I have rough plans for so far: *I want to create a basic G.U.I so that the user can see a building in front of them (a set distance away) whilst having some sort of firing device a-la FPS style. The user will be able to revolve around the building to choose the side and then aim with a cross hair at a specific area. *The building will have different material properties ie- Bricks, wood and glass. *The user will be able to choose different ammunition (cannon ball, 9mm bullet) to create different destructive effects on the building/material. What I want to show from all of this is how firing a certain type of projectile has different physical effects on an environment. If a cannonball hits the building I want a realistic (as possible!) portrayal of what would happen to the brick work, glass or wood that it hits. Basically I could do with some pointers for what areas of programming this sort of project would fall into and maybe some elaboration of the kind of code I’d be looking at. I'd also like to know what your thoughts are with Open GL or Direct X 9.0 to create the graphical side of this. I will be using Visual C++ and my programming skills are just out of beginner territory, I think :-p, but I am enthusiastic and willing to learn to get the best out of me and my project. Any help would be very, very much appreciated. Regards, Andy P.s. There are other things I have planned to add to the project if it lacks enough 'meat' but the above information is what I need to get started and onto bigger and better things :)