Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Recommend ME a PDA

Started by AnonymousPosterChild Oct 11, 2006 at 4:02 AM 13 replies 2.3k views
Original Post
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Well, its about time I got a new(er) PDA, since the one I have is about 6 years old. My requirements are pretty low, see the list: * PocketPC operating system. Not PocketPC BASED (see cassiopeia E-200) * CompactFlash capable, or has built in wifi * Higher than 240x320 resolution * The damn thing better have stereo sound support * More than 16 megs of RAM * More than 16 megs of onboard storage space Outside of these, I have no requirements. Things like size and weight aren't really issues for me.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
HelplessFool
HelplessFool
I don't know what you are looking to spend on a PDA, but the Axim X51v has all that stuff. It's probably overkill, but I'm fairly certain that most PDA's with a vga resolution will be.
I'm not sure about most other brands, but unlike a palm, Axim's have user replaceable batteries. Considering you kept your last PDA for so long, you'll probably like that feature.
Ravuya
Ravuya
I'm not a particularly big fan of the latest revision of the PocketPC OS: I find it slow and practically unusable. Stick with a machine offering PocketPC OS 2003 such as the iPaq rx1950.

Alternatives to the PocketPC family include the Nokia 770 or the Newton, both of which have medium to high end models that satisfy your requirements easily. You might also want to look into the Zaurus family of PDAs, which offer remarkable performance and excellent potential for independent development.
idloco
idloco
I vote for the Axim x51v it has all the things you need, and it is damn fast and looks great
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Use... uhm... Kuato.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Serapth
Serapth
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I'm not a particularly big fan of the latest revision of the PocketPC OS: I find it slow and practically unusable. Stick with a machine offering PocketPC OS 2003 such as the iPaq rx1950.

Alternatives to the PocketPC family include the Nokia 770 or the Newton, both of which have medium to high end models that satisfy your requirements easily. You might also want to look into the Zaurus family of PDAs, which offer remarkable performance and excellent potential for independent development.


I dont know if its massively different, but I find the exact opposite with Windows Mobile. My HTC Tytan is WAY faster then previous OS revisions, but granted, it got a decent processor boost too.

I will say, coming from a Palm Treo to Windows Mobile, is like going from a Ford Tempo to an Audi A4.
Rob Loach
Rob Loach
After my experience with a PocketPC 4300 for two years, I've concluded that when purchasing a PocketPC, it requires at least 128MB of ram, 600MHZ processor, SVGA display, WIFI capabilities, at least 1 USB port, Bluetooth, 640x480 display... Anything over that is good to go.

Oh, and make sure you install ScummVM on it.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
After my experience with a PocketPC 4300 for two years, I've concluded that when purchasing a PocketPC, it requires at least 128MB of ram, 600MHZ processor, SVGA display, WIFI capabilities, at least 1 USB port, Bluetooth, 640x480 display... Anything over that is good to go.

Oh, and make sure you install ScummVM on it.


...

I'm using it primarily to play MP3s and to test a game client on. I hardly need it to be that robusto.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
medevilenemy
medevilenemy
I'm ignoring the PocketPC Requirement (yep, me = palm loyalist)

get a Palm TX.

SPECS:
320*480 Screen Res.
312Mhz XScale Processor
128MB NVFS ROM
WI-FI
Bluetooth 1.2
SD/MMC Slot (SDIO)
Standard 3.5mm Headphone jack
Pocket Tunes MP3 Playing Software

etc...

oh... and it won't crash every quater-second either.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by medevilenemy
I'm ignoring the PocketPC Requirement (yep, me = palm loyalist)

get a Palm TX.

SPECS:
320*480 Screen Res.
312Mhz XScale Processor
128MB NVFS ROM
WI-FI
Bluetooth 1.2
SD/MMC Slot (SDIO)
Standard 3.5mm Headphone jack
Pocket Tunes MP3 Playing Software

etc...

oh... and it won't crash every quater-second either.


Neither will pocketPC. Not to mention that PalmOS is SHIT now, and has been for the past 2 years or so.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
medevilenemy
medevilenemy
APC, you are mistaken. simply put, the PalmOS even in it's current poorly maintained state is still far more efficient and easy to use (not to mention actually functional) than WinMob. But of course, this is an argument for PalmInfocenter, 1src, or Brighthand.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Moe
Moe
APC: I have heard fairly good things about IPaqs. I am not sure if that fits your requirement for an operating system, but they do seem decent.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Moe
APC: I have heard fairly good things about IPaqs. I am not sure if that fits your requirement for an operating system, but they do seem decent.


Ravuya had a rather glowing recommendation for the ipaq as well. I'm looking at the specs of some semi-recent models to check them out. Only problem is the lack of a CompactFlash slot, meaning I'll need to buy an SD card.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Moe
Moe
Well, SD cards are pretty cheap these days.
medevilenemy
medevilenemy
It is better to switch over to SD anyway. CF has generally fallen out of use... too big/bulky.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.