Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Gravity just made me its bitch :(

Started by AnonymousPosterChild Oct 15, 2006 at 8:32 AM 10 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
I was on the way back home from the bank the other day, after just having cashed my GST cheque. On the way back, I was walking along this one street that always has copious amounts of wind going in one direct. As I was walking down it, a particularily strong wind came up, and I leaned forward to adjust my balance. This is where it all went wrong. I realised that I wasn't leaning forward enough. If I wanted to achieve flight, I needed to lean a bit more forward to achieve some initial lift, and then I would lean back in order to thrust me further into the air. This, in theory, makes perfect sense IF YOU HAVE WINGS AND ARE CAPABLE OF FLIGHT. I, of course, do not and am not, respectively. Not realizing this until the last moment, I ended up falling flat on my face. Anything like this ever happen to you?
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
ToohrVyk
ToohrVyk
I usually try to avoid doing stupid things, like forgetting I can't fly. So no, it never happened to me.

EDIT: ++subtlety.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
I usually try to avoid doing stupid things, like thinking I can fly. So no, it never happened to me.


I didn't think I could fly, I forgot that I COULDN'T.

Theres a difference, its subtle, but its there.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Chokki
Chokki
The most successful way of flying is aiming to throw yourself towards the ground yet missing.

I think forgetting about the fact you're flying at all would be a capital idea.
Quote: Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
DogCity
DogCity
Reminds me of a childhood pastime. If anyones seen those big prefabricated plastic sand pits, which ya put in the garden and fill with water or such...

Well anyhow, on windy days we would empty them out and head up the (Steep) hill behind a friends house. Those things acted like mini parachutes and with strong enough winds you could lift right off the ground for a few seconds - or till your nerve broke and you let go of them. Good times, good times.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
Ceoddyn
Ceoddyn
Let's retitle this thread "Hooray Douglas Adams!"
GroZZleR
GroZZleR
The goblin word for "flying" is more accurately translated as "falling slowly".

medevilenemy
medevilenemy
I wish flying was as easy as it is in the Hitchhikers Guide. Even if impractical, it would be so much more entertaining... and it would give physicists something obvious to be confused about.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
LessBread
LessBread
Go easy on the LSD man... [grin]
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Go easy on the LSD man... [grin]


Once again, thats the concept of me thinking I can fly, not me not thinking that I can't fly.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
ROBERTREAD1
ROBERTREAD1
The perfect T-Shirt for you.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/science/65a4/
econobeing
econobeing
would have been funnier if you were leaning forward into the wind and it just stopped, and whump, ground.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.