Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Map data storage

Started by RobboK Nov 19, 2006 at 3:31 AM 1 replies 400+ views
Original Post
RobboK
RobboK
Hi I am looking for ways of efficiently storing map data. The size of the map could be anywhere up to 20km by 20km and I would like to have detail down to a 5m square. This means for a 1 km by 1km square I am looking at 40,000 locations and for 400 square km (20 by 20) 16,000,000! Dows anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance Robbo
ID Merlin
ID Merlin
A quadtree could be very efficient. You'd only have to store the 5m level of detail for those locations that need it, and leave the larger, uniform areas defined at a higher level of the tree.
RobboK
RobboK
Thanks Merlin that is just what I needed.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.