Original Post
I've been following this other thread lately on whether to use a single pass vs. a multipass lighting architecture, here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=424468 There's been some debate going on as to whether a deferred renderer can really help squeeze the graphics card on achieving more frame rates. I didn't want to pollute that thread with an off-topic question on deferred renderers, so I decided to post it here. I'm not very knowledgeable with deferred renderers, so correct me if I'm wrong. I understand, for lighting, one pays in number of pixels shaded instead of geometry complexity, so a deferred renderer is better for scenes where a lot of lights are involved. Somehow, I've got the impression (maybe because of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?!) a deferred renderer is hard to implement efficiently which lessens the chances of achieving more performance, if any at all. They each certainly better fit their own classes of problems as there is never no absolute best. My goal here is to know each one better and learn those situations where one is dominant. I particularly want to know if it is possible to achieve higher frame rates with a deferred renderer on ordinary scenes (and what is ordinary, you might ask? :)). Is it a good trade-off on current hardware? Any articles or benchmarks to justify the results are also very much appreciated. Thank you all.