Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

Looking for an MS in CS program

Started by Shred Nov 24, 2006 at 5:03 PM 2 replies 1k views
Original Post
Shred
Shred
Hi all, For a while now I've been wanting to earn a Masters Degree in CS, with Graphics as my research area, and have finally decided to take the plunge. Since I have no geographical constraints (live in Massachusetts but will relocate anywhere) and am a bit of a non-traditional applicant, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to apply. What I'd really appreciate is any info based on personal experience the Gamedev community could provide. The non-traditional thing: I went to UMass Lowell straight out of high school for Plastics Engineering, and left four years later with no degree and a spectacularly abysmal transcript. I joined a little start-up and worked my way up to software engineer. Eventually I went back to Lowell and got my degree in math, GPA 3.9, summa cum laude, won awards, all that good stuff. I got a 1410 on the GRE (670 verbal, 740 quant), which seems to be a decent score. Obviously the top tier (MIT, Brown, CalTech, etc) is out of the question, and my theoretical CS knowledge is lacking. What I'm looking for: a school with a strong graphics research group, non-terminal masters, and willingness to accept an applicant without all the knowledge of a BS in CS (I'd be willing to do a semester or two of undergrad work, if need be). I'm currently taking grad CS classes at WPI, and have applied there for the spring. I'll go if accepted, but if not, I'd love to beat feet out of Mass (I'm 38 and have always lived in the Northeast). Not that it's a bad place. If you like high taxes, miserable winters, uber political correctness, and an ambient stress level that would have Gandhi flipping people off within 48 hours, it's great. Not to mention this is the state that created that the $15 billion car wash loving referred to as the "Big Dig". Any advice greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. [Edited by - Shred on November 24, 2006 5:27:03 PM]
etothex
etothex
I guess I can plug my CS program, definitely the weather is a lot better here than in mass. The graphics stuff here is modestly good, there's traditional graphics research going on as well as a computer games research lab, and for more practical levels, Dreamworks and Pixar are not that far away (I took a class taught by a Dreamworks guy here, they really know their stuff) so internships are always a possibility. Can't really say more since I'm not involved with any of those labs, but I can try to answer questions if you have them. :)

EDIT: Dunno if they'll admit you, but you might have a good shot with that GPA of yours - they probably will make you take extra prerequisite classes though, like operating systems and CPU design.
trzy
trzy
There should be no problem getting into a CS grad program with a math degree. There is a GRE subject test in computer science that you should be aware of. It's a little late right now to apply for the Fall '07 academic year, so you should have some time left to take it.

When going into a different program than your BS degree, it is important that you demonstrate a strong desire and ability to learn and a passion for the field. Your work experience should be helpful as was your success story with going back to college and excelling in it. Non-traditional students are certainly not frowned upon!

If you want a research assistantship (and you do want it!) or at least a TA-ship to begin with, start contacting professors as you begin to apply. Assuming you will be applying for Fall '08, you will be writing your essays and dealing with the awful application forms starting around August or September of next year. Around November or December at the earliest, and no later than January, begin contacting professors that you would like to work with. But choose carefully. It's okay to contact multiple people privately in a department via email. Most won't reply anyway.


That's my advice.

As to where to go to school, check out the west coast. UW has a great CS program. I'm an EE grad student, though, so I don't know much about it -- all I know is that Seattle is a very difficult city to enjoy, so be careful about location. You probably can't go wrong with most UC schools (except maybe Riverside and the new one in Merced.)
----Bart
Ravuya
Ravuya
Considered Canada? We have lots of good grad schools (UToronto, Simon Fraser, Waterloo, McMaster), and tuition is lower.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.