Original Post
🔒 Locked
smr
Advertisement
Thanks. I'm at work right now, so I'll post images later. I took some art classes in middle school and high school. I've always wanted to be good at drawing faces and have made several unsuccessful attempts to become good at it. I'm hoping this workshop will get me a little closer to my goal.
Okay here it is... I realize now I did not exactly follow the instructions. I shaded the object instead of just using lines. Please let me know whether I should redraw and resubmit, otherwise I'll just continue to the 50s portrait. Thanks!

Oh, and here's something I've done before. The face was something I just made up. I had no image which I was working from. The mouth at the bottom was just practice, but it was on the same page in my sketchbook so I thought I'd upload that too.

Oh, and here's something I've done before. The face was something I just made up. I had no image which I was working from. The mouth at the bottom was just practice, but it was on the same page in my sketchbook so I thought I'd upload that too.
Wow! I'm very impressed! There's a lot of attention to detail - the subtle difference in the grade of the shading on the inside left-hand arm of the frame, or the areas where light is reflected directly into the viewer's eyes along the upper portions of the rims, or the subtle lightening of the stripes on the zebra where specular is perpendicular to the eye.
What you need, more than anything else, is a focus on rendering techniques - how to represent different textures, etc, so that your drawings seem tangible enough to reach out and touch. Great start!
What you need, more than anything else, is a focus on rendering techniques - how to represent different textures, etc, so that your drawings seem tangible enough to reach out and touch. Great start!
For drawing faces, you might want to take a look at portrait-artist.org. It has a lot of tutorials on drawing various parts of the face, and also some tips on the underlying anatomy, which will help you draw more realistically in many areas.
thanks for the link.
smr
smr
Wow, IIT? Damn you must be really smart. (I'm originally from Bombay btw). Drawings look really cool.
While I was waiting for the workshop to resume, I thought I'd upload another drawing. Unfortunately my scanner isn't very good at picking up faint lines.

I'm very unhappy with the shading. I *really* need to work on my rendering technique, as Oluseyi recommended...

I'm very unhappy with the shading. I *really* need to work on my rendering technique, as Oluseyi recommended...
Topic Locked
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
Sign in to reply to this topic.
Advertisement