Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

whilst statement

Started by squicklid Dec 7, 2006 at 10:48 PM 21 replies 4k views
Original Post
squicklid
squicklid
Does anyone agree that the "while" keyword of C'ish langauges should be "whilst"?
Mushu
Mushu
No.
mattd
mattd
No.
Promit
Promit
No.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Ravuya
Ravuya
No.
uavfun
uavfun
No, on the grounds that Perl would then have to have untilst
jpetrie
jpetrie
No. Just... no.
Moe
Moe
Quote:
Original post by DrEvil
imo it should be "aslongas" :)

But how would one pronounce that? Pronouncing it the wrong way makes it sound quite funny.

Oh, and No to the original post. (Although I think it sounds cool, no.)

RAZORUNREAL
RAZORUNREAL
Oh, of course. It is a disgrace to the english language, I mean really. In addition, the shorthand nature of such languages is appalling. One should write equals, not '='. Basic languages offer a minor improvement, in that 'if' is appropriately folowed by 'then'.

In order to fully qualify the instructions written in a language, we require a name to which the instructions are issued. I suggest, if I may, the name "Jeeves". Other changes that simply must be made include an explicit call command. The 'foo()' syntax is unclear, and should be replaced with 'call foo()'. In fact, the '()' syntax is also entirely unsatisfactory. A call should instead be followed by a comma seperated list, with the last two items seperated by 'and'. The semicolon seperation of statements is also unacceptable, and should be replaced by 'old chap'. Finally, all variables must be qualified with 'the' or 'a'.

An implementation of such a language might appear as follows:
"Jeeves, call Smith about the swords and the wagon, old chap."

Note: This post was meant to be mildly amusing, not offensive or lame. I probably failed, so my apologies.

[Edited by - RAZORUNREAL on December 8, 2006 3:43:04 AM]
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Emmanuel Deloget
Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by squicklid
Does anyone agree that the "while" keyword of C'ish langauges should be "whilst"?


By this single statement, you just destroyed decades of working programs. That's billion an billion of code lines that now need to be carefully modified.

If you want to use whilst in your own programs (and make them unreadable by everyone but you), you can also #define whilst while. But what would be the win? A more English-compliant language syntax? Well, most programmers are NOT English, so that doesn't matter very much [smile]
TheUnbeliever
TheUnbeliever
"While" and "whilst" are equivelant in modern English. It's a stylistic issue (such as might be set down by a newspaper's editor) as to which to use. I personally prefer "whilst", simply because of the sound. The parasitic 't' was added in Middle English.

So no, I think it should be left well enough alone!
[TheUnbeliever]
MaulingMonkey
MaulingMonkey
Quote:
Original post by dwarfsoft (and Mushu and cow_in_the_well and ArchWizard and mattd and DukeAtreides076 and Promit and Ravuya)
No.

Quoted for the purpouse of emphasis, while contributing no otherwise meaningful conversational relevance.
Nitage
Nitage
And remember, whistle whilst you work.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.