Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Noob Test

Started by Deyja Dec 31, 2006 at 9:54 PM 72 replies 16.9k views
Original Post
Deyja
Deyja
After batting this tiny piece of Interactive Fiction ( http://www.omnisu.com/belking.html ) around in #gamedev for a bit, we have come to the conclusion that there are only two kinds of people. There are those that grasp the situation immediately and find it terribly trivial to solve. And there are those that stare blankly at their screen asking 'Is the journal important?' or 'Is the password belking?' Please do not post spoilers.
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
11 steps.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
Quote:
Original post by Deyja
The correct solution is exactly 1 command long.


Yeah, but unless you can guess it...
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Nytegard
Nytegard
Quote:
Original post by Deyja
The correct solution is exactly 1 command long.


Maybe I'm missing something, but without the fore knowledge, how could someone realistically win in 1 command? Was kind of trivial though.
Pouya
Pouya
Is it weird that one of the first things I tried was to throw the journal at the computer? (try it)

Took a couple of minutes to solve. I suppose I could have taken one minute less if I weren't looking for ways to set the library on fire.
ArchWizard
ArchWizard
I tried to take the computer, but that didn't work. Inputting the command "hack computer" also doesn't work. Eventually I did win, but I was less than impressed with the ending. I would also like to know why a senator is dedicated to doing scientific research and not... um... senatoring.
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Ra
Ra
> touch self
If you think that'll help.



hahaha
Ra
mikeman
mikeman
Was pretty easy. What confused me the most is that they had "At least you are alone in Senator's Belking library...", then they had some info about the game, then some more story stuff. So I spent some seconds wondering "So the Senator is an interactive fiction? What the hell does that mean?"
nullsquared
nullsquared
I guess I'm one of those people that will stare at the screen and wonder what we're supposed to do.

...

What does this prove?
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
I guess I'm one of those people that will stare at the screen and wonder what we're supposed to do.

...

What does this prove?


That you're really crappy at playing crappy meaningless Java games.

Honestly, I don't know how you find the strength to keep on living.

nullsquared
nullsquared
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
I guess I'm one of those people that will stare at the screen and wonder what we're supposed to do.

...

What does this prove?


That you're really crappy at playing crappy meaningless Java games.

Honestly, I don't know how you find the strength to keep on living.


Umm.... [totally]?
Kaze
Kaze
so i won but is does it ever explain:
who are you
why are you breaking into some guys office
what are you trying to accomplish
who is Senator's Belking
Deyja
Deyja
It doesn't have any background info because the point is how incredibly simple it is. Now, everyone point and laugh at the people who can't solve it.
mikeman
mikeman
I think in my computer it's kind of broken though, like it cuts sentences. I read "There are many bookselves against" and then it stops, continuing in the below line with "You can see a desk...".

Does anyone else get this?
Kaze
Kaze
Quote:
>what is a grue
That's not a verb I recognize.

this game sucks
Thevenin
Thevenin
Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:
Original post by agi_shi
I guess I'm one of those people that will stare at the screen and wonder what we're supposed to do.

...

What does this prove?


That you're really crappy at playing crappy meaningless Java games.

Honestly, I don't know how you find the strength to keep on living.


Umm.... [totally]?


What Mikeman is trying to say is.. "Gee, you frequently visit a programming forum, and you cannot figure out that this blank white page you are viewing is suppose to be loading up a java applet (Evidence in the source code). Therefor... uh... die!".

Also, it is a blank page for me too (with 2 hard-returns in it). Cheers!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.