Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XBox360 Hard drive question...

Started by Slug Jan 2, 2007 at 3:50 PM 8 replies 2.1k views
Original Post
Slug
Slug
Hi, one of my freind just buy an XBox360 without hard drive and i was wondering if there is anyway to connect an USB hard drive, or a little USB pen, something like this??? And/or can i plug a normal hard drive into it???
knowyourrole
knowyourrole
I dont know for sure, but if it's anything like the old xbox, then not without first modding it in some way. On the old xbox the serial number of the stock HD was flashed onto the internal ROM chip, so it would only work with that harddrive if I remember correctly. You could plug a hard drive in I imagine, but I doubt it would work =/

Anyway, I thought the two versions of the 360 were totally separate, as in, if you bought the HD-less one, there was no way you could upgrade it to the version with the HD included. They're separate consoles as far as I know.
keen
keen
You need to buy an xbox 360 harddrive for sure. However this is not the appropriate place to ask such a question, it has nothing to do with game programming.
ViLiO
ViLiO
I have the full Premium edition so haven't really looked into any alternatives to the official 360 HD (20 GB) but in time I guess 3rd party ones will come out. I doubt an IDE/SATA HDD would fit into the Xbox 360 and I'm not sure about the USB drive idea. Hopefully somebody else can give you some conclusive answers on those [smile]
Quote:
Original post by knowyourrole
Anyway, I thought the two versions of the 360 were totally separate, as in, if you bought the HD-less one, there was no way you could upgrade it to the version with the HD included. They're separate consoles as far as I know.
You can upgrade a Core Xbox 360 to be equivalent to the full 360 by buying the Hard Drive, Wireless Controller and Headset separately. They claim it is to expand at your own pace but buying the parts separately after buying a Core works out a lot more expensive (from the prices I've seen in the UK at least) [wink]
Quote:
Original post by keen
You need to buy an xbox 360 harddrive for sure. However this is not the appropriate place to ask such a question, it has nothing to do with game programming.
Agreed, this is lounge material [smile]

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
taby
taby
Quote:
Original post by Slug
Hi, one of my freind just buy an XBox360 without hard drive and i was wondering if there
is anyway to connect an USB hard drive, or a little USB pen, something like this???
And/or can i plug a normal hard drive into it???


Apart from what the other posters said about buying the HDD separately, it is noteworthy that you can indeed connect iPod devices, and things such as USB keys and portable SD/CF card readers in order to display pictures and play music on your Xbox360. Saving game data etc, to these devices is not an option however, so they are no substitute.
taby
taby
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I'm from Canada just like the original poster and I see the education system totally failing. If that was English the original poster used, then it's very much changed in the last 5 years since I graduated. Sad.


I distinctly remember being surrounded by peers who couldn't spell and peers who couldn't feel good about themselves without bashing someone else's "shortcomings", and I've been out of school for more than 5 years. Nothing's changed, as you yourself have proven. Next...
Slug
Slug
Hi again, thx for you're answer. i'm asking this 'cause i want to try the XBox360 compiler
and try to make something with it, but you cannot test it on the xBox unless you have the HD. And sorry for my english, well it's not so bad, if you consider that's not my first language. I've seen worst. (I'm french)
zedzeek
zedzeek
Quote:
I distinctly remember being surrounded by peers who couldn't spell and peers who couldn't feel good about themselves without bashing someone else's "shortcomings", and I've been out of school for more than 5 years. Nothing's changed, as you yourself have proven. Next...

also this line had me scratching my head
'I see the education system totally failing'
not that i can speak, mind

Ravuya
Ravuya
This has absolutely nothing to do with game programming. Locked.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.