Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Avoiding google toolbar's autofill (ie6).

Started by Daniel Miller Jan 3, 2007 at 3:46 PM 8 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Daniel Miller
Daniel Miller
I have a text input on a form on my site that google toolbar says it can autofill. This causes the input to be highlighted in a bright tan color (making the white text inside impossible to read). I don't want google toolbar to recognize the input. At first, the input name was 'postname', but i've since changed it to 'postrawname', then 'postrawyouknowwhat', and it still highlights it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the toolbar. Any ideas?
aidan_walsh
aidan_walsh
Don't use a dark background and white text in the input field?
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
On your google toolbar(Or on mine, at the least) there is a drop down menu called 'Settings'. In settings, select options, and on the main page('Features' tab) de-select the AutoFill checkbox.
I normally just ignore it myself, but haven't actually disabled it.

@capn_midnight: I use google toolbar for the nice spellchecker, the searchbox, and my personal quick buttons.(GDnet, Wikipedia, Ihop, Amazon.com) I just ignore all of the info collecting features; not because I'm paranoid or anything, but because Google is trying to kill me. Still, the spellchecker is worth the risk.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
On your google toolbar(Or on mine, at the least) there is a drop down menu called 'Settings'. In settings, select options, and on the main page('Features' tab) de-select the AutoFill checkbox.
I normally just ignore it myself, but haven't actually disabled it.

@capn_midnight: I use google toolbar for the nice spellchecker, the searchbox, and my personal quick buttons.(GDnet, Wikipedia, Ihop, Amazon.com) I just ignore all of the info collecting features; not because I'm paranoid or anything, but because Google is trying to kill me. Still, the spellchecker is worth the risk.


Uhh....

Are you using IE or something? An OLD version of IE? Most of those features can be implemented in any browser either by default or with plugins.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Daniel Miller
Daniel Miller
aidan_walsh: It realllllly fits the theme of my site
capn_midnight: I actually use firefox. The problem is when another user has the google toolbar installed on ie6 and views my site.

I actually have two text inputs, one of which does not get picked up by the toolbar. Is there something I can do to avoid the toolbar recognizing the first field?
aidan_walsh
aidan_walsh
Quote:
aidan_walsh: It realllllly fits the theme of my site
capn_midnight: I actually use firefox. The problem is when another user has the google toolbar installed on ie6 and views my site.


So the choice comes down between one (or maybe two) small flaws in your ideal theme, or the ability of other users to use your site, and you're choosing what you think looks better over what is more functional?
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Daniel Miller
Daniel Miller
Quote:
Original post by aidan_walsh
Quote:
aidan_walsh: It realllllly fits the theme of my site
capn_midnight: I actually use firefox. The problem is when another user has the google toolbar installed on ie6 and views my site.


So the choice comes down between one (or maybe two) small flaws in your ideal theme, or the ability of other users to use your site, and you're choosing what you think looks better over what is more functional?


Well, I'd like to think those aren't my only two choices.

I'm trying to make google toolbar ignore the first text field. It already ignores the second, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make it ignore the first as well.
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
If you designed websites to be compatible with every 3rd party plugin they would look like sites from ~1994... and even that would break some plugins probably...
Daniel Miller
Daniel Miller
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
If you designed websites to be compatible with every 3rd party plugin they would look like sites from ~1994... and even that would break some plugins probably...


Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with this.

I hate to ask another question... but why am I getting this error after adding a call to trim()!?


Fatal error: Call to undefined function trim() in...


edit: I don't know... it worked if I wasn't assigning the returned value to anything. Then I started assigning it again and it worked.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.