Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

A 3D world

Started by kag1 Jan 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM 1 replies 750+ views
Original Post
kag1
kag1
Hello, I'm planning on making a little 3D app, like a room or somethign where a character can walk around and such. I'm going to use C#, and was thinking about trying out that new XNA framework...what do you guys think of that? (the xna framework that is). I'm also wondering how most game companies make their worlds, and objects...Do they use a program like 3ds max? or maya? or something similar? Or do they make their own level editors and such? About 9 months ago I planned on doing the same thing with OpenGL and C#, but didn't want to write a program that would put my models (from 3ds Max 7) into the program...is this still a problem? What is the technique used? Make a model or level in 3ds Max, and then use a program to convert it to an .x file? and the XNA can load it in? Thanks for your Help Kyle
haphazardlynamed
haphazardlynamed
For loading models, yeah sure, usually something like that.

For levels/world though, it can be advantagous to build and use your own map editor. Mainly because in a large project there will be tons of map info that is going to be specific to your own engine, and a map imported from say 3dSMax will need a processing stage to add all that... (item placement, BSPtree/SectorPortal gen, scripting, etc) Whereas if you build your own map editor, that stuff can potentially be created directly as one map building process... (for example in a Portal Engine, placing portals manually as part of map editing is a lot easier than having an algorithm calculate and create them from an existing map mesh...)
veritas
veritas
Hey Kyle its another Kyle.

I don't know crap about C#. And the companies I've watched used 3ds Max 7, as well as myself personally. They also use Hammer and sometimes make their own.

And as for the .x files, I belieeeeevvveeee that's only for DirectX. But I'm not certain.
____It is your corrupt we claim.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.