Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New anime?

Started by johnnyBravo Jan 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM 54 replies 10.5k views
Original Post
johnnyBravo
johnnyBravo
I've recently been discovering new anime shows by accident, so I'm curious if anyone has come across anything new that looks interesting? Heres some that I like: death note, about a guy who can kill people by writing their name in a book, its very interesting thriller. soukou no strain, a mecha type show, very cool mechs, more of an adventure like gundam seed... code geass, a mix of death note and gundam seed, quite entertaining mechs, also interesting and a bit of a thriller ergo proxy, seems to be very much like ghost in the shell, but much more realistic, not really sure what its about yet. black lagoon, really cool with a mad intro soundtrack, about modern pirates kinda, all you need to know is that there are alot of gun fights. red garden, sorta similar to gantz, it seems ok, though on the emotional level of evangellion...including the whining :| Basically if you know anything newesk that you like, i want to know! Oh rome is back on though its not anime, its pretty good.
Salsa
Salsa
Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
Oh rome is back on though its not anime, its pretty good.


Oops, you accidentally gave me just enough elbow room to recommend the non-anime Lost..which comes back in just a couple weeks! *viciously rubs hands together*
Kult House - Fresh Production Media
Motorherp
Motorherp
I'd pretty much given up on new anime for a long time, the last lot I really enjoyed being stuff like Cyber City OEDO 808, 3x3 Eyes, MadBull, Doomed Megalopolis etc (really old stuff). After that it all seemed to go extremely kiddy safe with morals about love and friendship concoring evil (not so nasty, kinda fluffy evil that is) and everyone having a super happy fun time. Even the stuff with giant mecha flinging super high velocity human flesh pulversing projectiles at each other were lacking in any sense of the horrors of high tech war. No-one even bleeds anymore, no matter getting turned into lumpy red mists to rain down upon their friends and loved ones. On the other end of the scale the light hearted bits of old have become more serious. Honestly I have more fun watching emo's whine and bitch at each other rather than watching the character interation in most modern animes. What happened to the humour? Now its all about talking about your emotional problems and confused feelings between young girls and boys. Its like they put a content bandpass filter on anime cutting out all the extremes and only letting the mediocre stuff through. I used to love this stuff but seriously non of the new anime moves me at all anymore.

Gladdly things look like they might be changing again for the better. I found Stand Alone Complex quite thought provoking and Ergo Proxy which you mention looks like it might be pretty dark. There's also been several one offs that have been really good. So if anyone does know of any good anime thats being made recently ... and I do mean good anime, non of this Full Metal Panic arse .... then I'd really like to hear about it too ^^.

[Edited by - Motorherp on January 18, 2007 11:48:57 AM]
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
templewulf
templewulf
Quote:
Original post by Motorherp
I'd pretty much given up on new anime for a long time, the last lot I really enjoyed being stuff like Cyber City OEDO 808, 3x3 Eyes, MadBull, Doomed Megalopolis etc (really old stuff). After that it all seemed to go extremely kiddy safe with morals about love and friendship concoring evil (not so nasty, kinda fluffy evil that is) and everyone having a super happy fun time. Even the stuff with giant mecha flinging super high velocity human flesh pulversing projectiles at each other were lacking in any sense of the horrors of high tech war. No-one even bleeds anymore, no matter getting turned into lumpy red mists to rain down upon their friends and loved ones. On the other end of the scale the light hearted bits of old have become more serious. Honestly I have more fun watching emo's whine and bitch at each other rather than watching the character interation in most modern animes. What happened to the humour? Now its all about talking about your emotional problems and confused feelings between young girls and boys. Its like they put a content bandpass filter on anime cutting out all the extremes and only letting the mediocre stuff through. I used to love this stuff but seriously non of the new anime moves me at all anymore.

Gladdly things look like they might be changing again for the better. I found Stand Alone Complex quite thought provoking and Ergo Proxy which you mention looks like it might be pretty dark. There's also been several one offs that have been really good. So if anyone does know of any good anime thats being made recently ... and I do mean good anime, non of this Full Metal Panic arse .... then I'd really like to hear about it too ^^.

Maybe your standards are just too high? I was disappointed by the few episodes I saw of Trinity Blood (unless it's actually good when you watch all of it), but I've been really enjoying Bleach on Adult Swim, despite its thorough shonen-ness.

I also picked up the first season of Ranma 1/2 for my wife at Christmas (She loves Rumiko Takahashi). God damn, did they ever love to show breasts. Unfortunately, I can't find the next season for less than 100USD, except on eBay, and I've previously been burned by poorly-pirated crap masquerading on auction as actual products.

As for new...umm...is Paranoia Agent still considered new? That was pretty good.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
johnnyBravo
johnnyBravo
Well you might like black lagoon, its more serious and some what thought provoking, though no where near as deep as ghost in the shell.

Death note is also darkish, and it also makes you feel smart in a way.


I do notice a certain feel among some anime where the seem more serious than others.
Nypyren
Nypyren
Not Kiddy Anime(tm):

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (don't let the cutesy anime girls fool you! This is what the "Evil Inside" logo was REALLY made for).

Black Lagoon.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by templewulf
Maybe your standards are just too high? I was disappointed by the few episodes I saw of Trinity Blood (unless it's actually good when you watch all of it), but I've been really enjoying Bleach on Adult Swim, despite its thorough shonen-ness.


At times Trinity Blood oozes potential but then it goes emo and loses it all. I like Bleach - but with a 150+ episodes I can see it collapsing into a soap opera.

Orihime! Orihime! "she's got boobs and brains!"

Eureka 7 turned out better than I expected, but I'm glad they wrapped it up in 50 episodes.

Quote:
Original post by templewulf
As for new...umm...is Paranoia Agent still considered new? That was pretty good.


I wouldn't consider it new, but it's pretty cool. A couple of episodes were top notch.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
I liked Samurai 7 and PeaceMaker (the main character is a bit of a distraction to the story however). I wanted to know if GitS: Solid State Society has been dubbed yet. Does anybody know?
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
owl
owl
Does anybody know if anime series will have a decent_script again someday? I simply can't stand the nosense I hear everytime I stay 2 seconds watching TV with my younger brother.

I mean, DB/DBZ had lots of nosense, but it was ment to be a satire.
30 minutes of people talking about/worshiping a guy who can't control it's body temperature is just plain dumb.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Senses777
Senses777
I haven't seen it, but my friends said Haruhi is good.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Funkymunky
Funkymunky
I'm really liking Spike TV's new show "Afro Samurai." Samuel L. Jackson does the voices of the main character and his side kick. It's violent as all hell, and it's a pretty damn badass show.

Plus, music by the RZA. 'nuff said.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by owl
Does anybody know if anime series will have a decent_script again someday? I simply can't stand the nosense I hear everytime I stay 2 seconds watching TV with my younger brother.

I mean, DB/DBZ had lots of nosense, but it was ment to be a satire.
30 minutes of people talking about/worshiping a guy who can't control it's body temperature is just plain dumb.


Dragon Ball Z? I suppose it's anime, but I don't think of it that way. Check out Fullmetal Alchemist if you get the chance, especially the last 20 episodes (vol 8 through vol 13). That show raises a host of interesting questions about how far a person will go in pursuit of a goal and what the consequences of a choice means for a person's humanity.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Funkymunky
I'm really liking Spike TV's new show "Afro Samurai." Samuel L. Jackson does the voices of the main character and his side kick. It's violent as all hell, and it's a pretty damn badass show.

Plus, music by the RZA. 'nuff said.


I forgot about that show, but yep, pretty damn badass.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
RavNaz
RavNaz
"berserk" mate, you cant go wrong
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by RavNaz
"berserk" mate, you cant go wrong

I've only seen the episodes when they get caught by the God Hand, but not anything after that. Have they been released or at least televised?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by owl
Does anybody know if anime series will have a decent_script again someday? I simply can't stand the nosense I hear everytime I stay 2 seconds watching TV with my younger brother.

I mean, DB/DBZ had lots of nosense, but it was ment to be a satire.
30 minutes of people talking about/worshiping a guy who can't control it's body temperature is just plain dumb.


Dragon Ball Z? I suppose it's anime, but I don't think of it that way.

IF DBZ is not an anime, then what personally do you call it?

@owl: DBZ is a satire of what? I just thought it was over the top good vs. evil.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Dragon Ball Z? I suppose it's anime, but I don't think of it that way.

IF DBZ is not an anime, then what personally do you call it?


Like I said, I suppose it's anime, but I don't think of it that way. I think of it as a children's cartoon. I think of anime as animation for teenagers and adults.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Mushu
Mushu
Quote:
Original post by RavNaz
"berserk" mate, you cant go wrong

I could never find a group subbing berserk. Got any names/links to throw out? :3
Raghar
Raghar
Quote:
Original post by templewulfI also picked up the first season of Ranma 1/2 for my wife at Christmas (She loves Rumiko Takahashi). God damn, did they ever love to show breasts. Unfortunately, I can't find the next season for less than 100USD, except on eBay, and I've previously been burned by poorly-pirated crap masquerading on auction as actual products.

Be happy and grab manga, and all of it. TV series degraded quickly. Third and fourth seasons are something you should look at only on TV/shared.
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
I want a metal gear anime adaption. not metal gear solid, just metal gear.

Then I will watch anime again.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.