Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Could you guys recommend some tutorials based on what I already know?

Started by -Bliss- Jan 19, 2007 at 4:57 AM 7 replies 1k views
Original Post
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
Hi there. It's been a good while since I've visited GameDev, mostly due to financial and time-consuming hardships. But... I'm back! So I decided a week ago to try and see what I could do with programming a Win32 game, and I've heard that Tetris clones are fairly easy... Well, 6 hours of coding later (I was using the tutorial listed in the sticky... 1h?!? bullcrap!), my game didn't even start... no window appeared, and I didn't so much as see the process flicker in the list of Task Manager. In addition, I found that particular tutorial to be a bit lacking... As I trudged along with the tutorial, I realized at some point that all I was doing was copying code and didn't really understand what I was doing. By then, I was nearly done, so I finished it anyway, telling myself that I would go back and figure out what did what, and why. To my disappointment the program failed to run. I've come to the conclusion that since I couldn't even begin to tell where I went wrong, that I had bitten off more than I could chew. That's when I decided to post what I know, and see if you guys would mind making some project recommendations based on what I already know. Well to start off, I'd like to consider myself decent with C, as in it's procedural(sp?). C++ is where I want to go. Here's what I know: * I know what a function is, how to create one, and pass variables and return types. * I know the basic data types and how to use them, in addition to arrays and matricies. * I know how and when to set global and local variables, and know how to set constants. * I'm good with loops, as well as 'if' statements. What I don't know (well): * I have a vague idea of what classes are and how to implement them. * I haven't the faintest idea of how to create my own headers or use them. * I need to learn how to use DirectX and eventually OpenGL for graphics. * Some of the 'other' data types I have trouble with, such as enum. * I understand the basics of pointers, but after that, I'm completely lost. The reason I ask for recommendations is because most of the tutorials I've seen are either way too easy or way to difficult. I could do a difficult project if I could find a well-documented tutorial to accompany it, but so far, I haven't been so lucky.
ShaderDev
ShaderDev
I would recommend finding a good book on C++ and start reading(don't buy a reference manual)...acomplishing/understanding the tasks and projects in the book would be enough to get you going with C/C++ (no offence but i wouldn't say that your knowledge in C is decent...it's more likely to say that you have a week of experience in C).
Once you finish with the C++ book you may start with the NeHe OpenGL tutorials http://nehe.gamedev.net/. They are well written for beginers and cover the basics of using OpenGL and Win32. Ofcource if you don't know how 3d graphics work you should consider finding a book on the maths behind 3d.
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
Hey, thanks for the reply.

So basically start from the beginning, huh? :( Here I was thinking that I was more knowledgeable than I actually am. (No offense taken, btw.)

My financial situation doesn't really permit me to spend even $30 on a C++ For Dummies... which aren't the best quality books I've seen...

The internet is a nice resource though... Digging for gold in a mound of crap isn't always easy though; perhaps I'll find something written well enough to help. I've looked before, but obviously I wasn't looking hard enough. :)
FreakForFreedom
FreakForFreedom
Hi -Bliss-!

I can only recommend Nehe OpenGL Tutorials and the tutorials from http://www.gametutorials.com. The Gametutorials arn't for free, but I bought them long time ago and they where worth the money. :) They offer you a wide range of tutorials, from "Hello-World" over "Pointers" to "Create a Terrainsystem", in OpenGl and in DX. And, they are of course written in C++. :)
greets, FFF_______God's in his heaven. All's right with the world.
Julian90
Julian90
A List of Free Online C++ Books:

Personally I think this is a horible book that teaches lots of bad practices but ive seen lots of people say they used it and found it explained things clearly so....
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days
An excelent book and one of my presonal favorites, it assumes you have a decent understanding of C but nothing complex (with what you said it would be difficult but not overly hard).
Thinking in C++

ummmmm actually thats all i know of, a quick google showed lots more but i cant comment on their quility.
nobodynews
nobodynews
After seeing this book recommended, let me point you towards:

http://www.steveheller.com/cppad/Output/dialogTOC.html

sorry, no linky.
C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) ,
riyunoa
riyunoa
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

^This site is pretty detailed, and has a lot of C++ explanations, as well as references.
gumpy
gumpy
Quote:
Original post by -Bliss-
Well to start off, I'd like to consider myself decent with C, as in it's procedural(sp?). C++ is where I want to go.


based on what you said there i'd suggest thinking in c++ volumes 1 and 2.
This space for rent.
-Bliss-
-Bliss-
I really appreciate the responses...

I've taken a liking to the "Thinking in C++". The first chapter alone has left me with a much clearer picture of OOP... and I think that there was a total of 4 lines of code in it, and only to illustrate a point.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.