Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Engine Logo: What do you think?

Started by GenuineXP Jan 26, 2007 at 12:42 PM 10 replies 3.1k views
Original Post
GenuineXP
GenuineXP
I've been working on this little game engine of mine for some time now and decided it needed a logo (if it ever develops enough I'll post it for others to play with, so a logo could be cool... but I'm very far from that stage). :-) Anyway, I just wanted to know what some people thought of it. The engine is called Mocha, after my favorite drink here at school (I drink one almost every weekday). I drew it up in Photoshop CS2. Mocha Banner I think the gears could be reworked a bit to make it more readable and I could eliminate some of the void... but I'm not sure. Here's the "stamp" logo, which is just the coffee cup. I was thinking of putting an 'M' or a gear on it. Mocha Stamp Anyway, just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks! Edit: Alright, here are two new versions. I tried to fix the 'O' gear to mesh with the text a bit better. Also, I changed the curve of the inside of the handle of the mug to less resemble a 'D'. I removed one of the other gears to lessen clutter as well. Mocha for Everyone :-) I like this next one more, I think. I added color and a bit of dimension. This also works better with the theme I've created for a possible website I've been thinking of doing. Caramel Mocha Caramel Mocha (Revised) Just for kicks, here's the site banner to match. Crimson Digital Thanks for the input. :-) [Edited by - GenuineXP on January 26, 2007 10:00:04 PM]
Jehsup
Jehsup
I think it looks great.
SantaClaws
SantaClaws
I like it! Great logo. Caffeine! The black & white makes it look really sleek.

Some suggestions:
- The "CHA" at the end looks a bit small, especially compared to the size of the "O" of the gear. My eye tends to split it up into "MO-cha" instead of flowing through it as one word.
- I'm not sure the faded gears and "c++ game library" text are necessary. The logo looks a bit cluttered with them. It might seem more confident without them.

Edit:
Quote:
Original post by thallish
The handle on the cup looks to much like a 'D', so for me it spells out 'DMocha'.
Actually, yeah, the same thing happened to me when I first looked at it.
thallish
thallish
I find the logo in general to be cool, but one thing distracts me. The handle on the cup looks to much like a 'D', so for me it spells out 'DMocha'.

Regards
regards/thallishI don't care if I'm known, I'd rather people know me
ViLiO
ViLiO
I also find the mug handle to look too much like a 'D' and ...I think the 'O' doesn't really look like an 'O' enough, so I read DM CHA. I think the black gear not working for an 'O' may just be a matter of spacing. Another thing is i'd put the largest gear behind the black text instead of blending it over the top.

Other than that I love the high contrast and clean lines.

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Palidine
Palidine
The logo makes me think of Java both in name and logo appearance.

If your engine isn't made with java you may want to consider a new name. Also if you plan on releasing this, there are about 10 hits googling for "Mocha API" for various Java libraries. This would all just cause brand confustion.

-me
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
I think the black gear not working for an 'O' may just be a matter of spacing. Another thing is i'd put the largest gear behind the black text instead of blending it over the top.


Perhaps it needs smaller teeth.
Avatar God
Avatar God
I rather like the color float logo. I'm not sure the subtitle should be right aligned, though. Centered or justified would probably be best.

Everything from "Mocha for everyone" and on is very usable, though.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Morpheus011
Morpheus011
elegant, crisp, to the point. I dig it.
glassflakes
glassflakes
I like the concept of your design, however I believe he kerning is wrong. it reads (at first glance) as "M O CHA". here's a link that would help you tweaking it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerning

but overall, great concept, nice work
Xai
Xai
Very nice style.

Could use a few detail tweaks, but artistic direction always has room for choice ... the only change I think is absolutely required no matter what direction you go with it is to fix the kearning / spacing of the C following the gear. There should not be more space after the gear than before it ... the version you did where M'O'CHA follows the cup looks abolutely awesome. The others would look a little better if you simply scooted the CHA left a little.

Personally I slightly agree that the handle is not abolsutely perfect ... but I like it and think with a tiny tweak it could be amazing.

The saucer is a little distracting to me (except on the postange stamp cup-only version), feels busy ... but it is very well done and it looks nice in the versions where the M is not inside the cup.

Very nice, if I had money I'd hire you to do logos for me :)
GenuineXP
GenuineXP
Thanks for all the replies. :-)

I personally like the version with "Mocha" placed to the right of the cup (without the 'M' inside the cup). It didn't look as readable to me so I moved it out and liked the results.

Is the kerning also wrong in this version? I tried to position the 'O' gear so that it was fairly evenly spaced. The serif on the 'M' reaches out pretty far, and I measured from its edge to the gear and from the left-most part of the curve of the 'C'.

I haven't had a chance to work on this lately; sorry I haven't acknowledged your helpful posts until now.

Thanks again.

EDIT: What should be done with the handle? I modified it in the last version to less resemble a 'D'. Also, does the highlight on the bottom of the cup not make it look too much like there's a stray exclamation mark? It's just something I noticed.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.