Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Am I the only Conservitive Programmer/Gamer?

Started by Zmurf Jan 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM 53 replies 5.9k views
Original Post
Zmurf
Zmurf
Lol, I have yet to meet another.
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
LessBread
LessBread
Don't worry, you're not alone.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
Unfortunately, no.

Conservatives have a tendency to go into business related fields more so than science fields, so you're likely going to be a political minority. Honestly, I don't see the point in asking. Does it really matter that much to you?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Zmurf
Zmurf
Quote:
Original post by SticksandStones
Unfortunately, no.

Conservatives have a tendency to go into business related fields more so than science fields, so you're likely going to be a political minority. Honestly, I don't see the point in asking. Does it really matter that much to you?


Doesn't matter, I actually enjoy being in the minority, much more fun. Seems to bother you that there's conservitives at all, however. "Unfortunately, no."
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
I'm a conservative programmer. I try not to take any unnecessary risks by using bug-prone un-tested code, always properly define memory and I test everything thoroughly to make sure it works.

I was also very conservative in Starcraft. I always used the same strategy; turtle in my guys in a big, highly defended base and try to send out a large unstoppable force. I didn't like it if a single unit died. That's pretty conservative.

Or by "conservative" do you mean someone who likes strawberry conserve on toast? That's me too [smile].

Making things even more confusing, since you're Australian by "Conservative" do you mean "Liberal"? [grin]
Zmurf
Zmurf
Yea in australia you can't really differ between Liberal = Republican and Labor = Democrat because alot of the values cross between, so I just stick with liberal and conservative. I used to live in Georgia before I moved to Australia. Maybe that accounts for something ... *whistles deliverance theme*
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
Quote:
Original post by Zmurf
Quote:
Original post by SticksandStones
Unfortunately, no.

Conservatives have a tendency to go into business related fields more so than science fields, so you're likely going to be a political minority. Honestly, I don't see the point in asking. Does it really matter that much to you?


Doesn't matter, I actually enjoy being in the minority, much more fun. Seems to bother you that there's conservitives at all, however. "Unfortunately, no."


That was a joke man, I really don't care what your political views are.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
ManaStone
ManaStone
Quote:
Original post by Zmurf
Quote:
Original post by SticksandStones
Unfortunately, no.

Conservatives have a tendency to go into business related fields more so than science fields, so you're likely going to be a political minority. Honestly, I don't see the point in asking. Does it really matter that much to you?


Doesn't matter, I actually enjoy being in the minority, much more fun. Seems to bother you that there's conservitives at all, however. "Unfortunately, no."


I didn’t think conservatives liked minorities. J/K.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
RDragon1
RDragon1
Quote:
Original post by Zmurf
Lol, I have yet to meet another.


Yes, you are the only one.
templewulf
templewulf
You have to clarify, there are many kinds of conservatism. Are you libertarian or authoritarian? Are you isolationist or do you prefer preemptive military action? Are you fiscally conservative? Socially? Neo-ly? [grin]

It's really not an answerable question if you don't specify what type you are! For instance, I used to be conservative-to-moderate in the American political spectrum. The "moderate" in the popular consciousness has been moved so far right that I'm now a raging liberal, even though I haven't changed much.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
nobodynews
nobodynews
EDIT: I forgot that this was an international website and saw you are from Australia and my previous post made no sense.

But you spelled conservative wrong. Unless Australians use a different spelling.
C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) ,
jbadams
jbadams
It didn't even occur to me that you might be referring to political views until I started reading replies.
- Jason Astle-Adams
Sir Sapo
Sir Sapo
I tend to have conservative leanings, although I'm convinced that moderation is the way to go, neither party/ideology is going to be able to solve all the problems by itself.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
veritas
veritas
Wellllll.........

I'm a conservative.

and a programmer.

and a gammer.

so I'm inclined to say yes?

but the code I write is 100% my own.
____It is your corrupt we claim.
Rain 7
Rain 7
I am the direct polarization of conservative while playing games. I am spastic. You gotta play with style!
Diodor
Diodor
I am a conservative programmer: I use vanilla C to write 2D games. As for games, I think I might play fallout later today.
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Maybe it's time to break out the political compass? Here are some past gamedev results.


havnt seen that in a while. ive shifted quite a bit since last time. quite lonely there in the lower right, but i suppose friedman isnt bad company.

im not conservative at all. that said i think progress lies in another direction than those that usually use the term 'progressive'.
manuelb
manuelb
Can someone be just labeled as liberal or not liberal?
At list in Brazil it is dificult...
We have a lot of political parties, with a lot of diferent ideias.
Economicaly "Liberals" = less taxes, governament is not responsible for more than policy and a amry. "Conservatives" = some more taxes but governament is responsible to offer healf-care, public education, access to things like water/energy. (in this terms I'm not liberal).

Democracy: "Liberals": more democracy, freedom of thougth.
"Conservative": little democracy with strong governament control over media.
Well in this case I'm liberal, I think governament can get a little control, (don't allow porn things for children for example), but I dont like governament control over political stuff.

Religion: Well, it's dificult to classify in Brazil, we have a lot of religions. I'm catholic, I go to church every sunday and prefer the left side of church, the side that care more about poore people and figth against the dark side of capitalism globalization. I realy can't say if I'm liberal or conservative, conservatives are more related to rigth side of church, but I also don't have nothing againdt it's dogmas.

drugs: conservaive, I don't like iven legal smoke, I drink alcool sometimes but don't get drunk (Its not any ideology, I just think its not healthy). I don't thing the access to drugs should be legal

Games: Conservative, I don't like these ultra immersive hardcore games. Well, some of them I like.

Programming: I realy don't know how to apply. But I've programmed (professionaly) in a dozen different languages.

Politicaly: Here we classify politics in rigth, center, and left, with a lot of different parties. I prefer center-left and democratic left.
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.