Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Programming Languages as Religion

Started by Thermodynamics Feb 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM 43 replies 8k views
Original Post
Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics
Due to some recent talk on the chat channel I am opening this up: What religion does your programming language relate to and why? Here is the original conversation that started it:*

[14:44] <Brend-> Anyway. My original point here was not 'Python is the devil'. It was merely 'Python is not the saviour'
[14:45] <Olu|lunch> did anyone say "Python is the savior"?
[14:45] <ra> I said Python is the savior
[14:45] <ra> (not really)
[14:45] <ra> Python is the second coming :)
[14:45] <Olu|lunch> no one language is the savior
[14:46] <Thermo> no thats Python 2 you are looking for
[14:46] <Olu|lunch> anyone who thinks that there is a One True Language is a fool
[14:46] <Thermo> Is that like the mormon view of programming?
[14:46] <Olu|lunch> Thermo, no, it's called Fundamentalist Programming :p
[14:47] <ra> Thermo: Perl is the mormon language.. it's all about alternatives to do the same thing :)
[14:48] <Thermo> ra: we should start a lounge thread that relates languages to different religions/cultures
[14:48] <aCiD2> What religion is Objective-C?
[14:48] <aCiD2> :P
[14:48] <ra> Thermo: C is for pagans :P
[14:48] <ra> aCiD2: Satanists
[14:48] <aCiD2> Boyah
[14:48] <Thermo> so C++ is for wiccans?
[14:48] <programwizard> I was going to say that :(
[14:48] <ra> yes!
[14:49] <ra> Thermo: that makes so much sense it's scary
[14:49] <April> Cobol is for wiccans :)))
[14:49] <ra> C++ and black magic?
[14:49] <ra> they go hand in hand :P
[14:49] <programwizard> Right ;)
[14:49] <Thermo> the logic behind that is giving me a headache.
[14:50] * jbsiue05 has left #gamedev (Kopete 0.12.4 : http://kopete.kde.org)
[14:50] <Olu|lunch> you saucy Wiccan Wench, April! :p
[14:50] <Brend-> C++ is awesome!
[14:50] <programwizard> ...
[14:50] <Thermo> ...
[14:50] <April> YES I AM :)

*non-relevant portions were snipped at my discretion.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
BeanDog
BeanDog
To me, C++ is like the Catholic church. It was totally ubiquitous for centuries (in computer years). It carries so much historical baggage with it that it requires lenghty, bizarre rituals to get anything useful done. And even when your program seems to be operational, you're never quite sure if it's really acting right.
Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics
Quote:
Original post by BeanDog
To me, C++ is like the Catholic church. It was totally ubiquitous for centuries (in computer years). It carries so much historical baggage with it that it requires lenghty, bizarre rituals to get anything useful done. And even when your program seems to be operational, you're never quite sure if it's really acting right.


It does seem to have an affinity for little boys too. hmmmm

EDIT:nevermind. That was an inappropriate attack against an institution that is showing some real turn around.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Nathan Baum
Nathan Baum
Quote:
Original post by Thermodynamics
Quote:
Original post by BeanDog
To me, C++ is like the Catholic church. It was totally ubiquitous for centuries (in computer years). It carries so much historical baggage with it that it requires lenghty, bizarre rituals to get anything useful done. And even when your program seems to be operational, you're never quite sure if it's really acting right.


It does seem to have an affinity for little boys too. hmmmm

EDIT:nevermind. That was an inappropriate attack against an institution that is showing some real turn around.

I don't see much chance of C++ changing that much, actually.
Zahlman
Zahlman
Quote:
Original post by Thermodynamics
Quote:
Original post by BeanDog
To me, C++ is like the Catholic church. It was totally ubiquitous for centuries (in computer years). It carries so much historical baggage with it that it requires lenghty, bizarre rituals to get anything useful done. And even when your program seems to be operational, you're never quite sure if it's really acting right.


It does seem to have an affinity for little boys too. hmmmm

EDIT:nevermind. That was an inappropriate attack against an institution that is showing some real turn around.


True. The modern standard C++ library has improved things quite a bit. ;)
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
I wonder what religion Ruby is....
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by BeanDog
To me, C++ is like the Catholic church. It was totally ubiquitous for centuries (in computer years). It carries so much historical baggage with it that it requires lenghty, bizarre rituals to get anything useful done. And even when your program seems to be operational, you're never quite sure if it's really acting right.


I was thinking that too. And C is pre-Vatican II Catholic Church.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Thermodynamics
Thermodynamics
No C is Judaism
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
LessBread
LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Thermodynamics
No C is Judaism


I'd say Assembler is Judaism.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
supercoder74
supercoder74
What about C#?
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
Lisp is the Jedi Church.

It actually gives you superpowers if you believe in it, but very few people can get past laughing at how silly it all looks.
Beer Hunter
Beer Hunter
Cobol is atheism. Intercal is discordianism. C++ is Islam: to get any meat, you need precise religious rituals and prayer.

Sikhism should be a fun one to assign to a programming language. Any ideas?
Fukushuusha
Fukushuusha
I wonder what religion Java would be ..... my bet would be .... close to Shinto , or Budhism.Don't know why , but when I make the connection that's the thought that comes into mind.
ZQJ
ZQJ
I'd have to say C# is Scientology - it's controlled by an organization with suspect motives who will make you pay through the nose for the advanced stuff (VS Team Edition anyone?).
shmoove
shmoove
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Thermodynamics
No C is Judaism


I'd say Assembler is Judaism.


Only on CISC machines.

shmoove
Ka-lolek
Ka-lolek
I think that ASM is judaism (fundations), C++ is catholicysm, Java and other Shintoism or sth like that ;P

but all in all... weird topic:)
Scet
Scet
Quote:
Original post by ZQJ
I'd have to say C# is Scientology - it's controlled by an organization with suspect motives who will make you pay through the nose for the advanced stuff (VS Team Edition anyone?).

[rolleyes]

Now this really is turning into a religion thread...
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
I'd say Assembler is Judaism.


iirc.. there is no language called "Assembler". I think you mean "Assembly"...
CTar
CTar
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
I'd say Assembler is Judaism.


iirc.. there is no language called "Assembler". I think you mean "Assembly"...


There isn't any language called "Assembly" either. Assembly language is a family of languages like natural languages is.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.