Original Post
So here I am, with my minimal graphics programming experience, coding small(ish) demos of some features such as odd physics (really odd "mess-with-your-mind" style), portals, etc. I'll later put them together, and -!-; a "mess-with-your-mind" game. Well, not exactly, but that's not the point. What I can't figure out is what an index is and how it's used to render things. I'm creating a custom scene node (in Irrlicht, but the engine doesn't really matter), and to render it my best choice is a triangle list. BUT - while I (mostly) know what the normals are and how to use them, etc., as well as the vertices and colors, I have no idea what the indices are. And the only triangle list option is a "indexedTriangleList". So, what I've come to ask you, Gamedevers, is what indices are and how I use them/figure them out? I've searched gamedev, google, wikipedia... Nothing exactly explaining indices came up. I dug through the source, found the GL source of the engine, found the indexedTriangle function, and read through the source. Found the main GL function, searched that, and came to some page that described EVERYTHING but what the indices are. These "indices" must probably be something really simple, and I'm probably just sort of "missing" the point (and thus not getting it)... but after all, I don't believe there are "stupid" questions (maybe stupid answers, yes), as with no matter how simple or odd a question is, the asker shall gain knowledge for the future, no? Anyone who responds (and actually helps [grin]) will be greatly THANKED! *cheers*, have a nice day!