Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

IE7 vs firefox

Started by daniel_i_l Apr 4, 2007 at 12:19 PM 53 replies 7.1k views
Original Post
daniel_i_l
daniel_i_l
What web browser should i go for, IE7 or firefox? Which one do you use and why? Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Ravuya
Ravuya
Opera.
rollo
rollo
Firefox. I do web development, and firefox many nifty plugins are invaluable. This means I tend to use FF for most other browsing too since I'm too lazy to switch. I do end up in Safari occationally though.

I haven't tried IE7 much yet (my "windows buddy" does compability test in windows for me - yay!), but I don't think I'm ready to forgive microsoft for IE6 yet.
superpig
superpig
I use Firefox, mainly for extensions like this one. I've also found IE7 to be extremely slow on some computers, I'm not sure why.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Promit
Promit
I use IE7. It's slightly less irritating than Firefox (but only slightly) and a lot less broken at rendering than Opera.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
skulldrudgery
skulldrudgery
I went back to IE6 after using FF for a while. I don't why but I didn't like either of them. But now I've upgraded to IE7, and it is like butter. I had no problems with it except copying and pasting text into the search box is a little buggy.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
Emmanuel Deloget
Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by Promit
I use IE7. It's slightly less irritating than Firefox (but only slightly) and a lot less broken at rendering than Opera.

My guess is that it's actually the opposit, but that web developers has been a bit lazy with web standards for a few years [smile]
Promit
Promit
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by Promit
I use IE7. It's slightly less irritating than Firefox (but only slightly) and a lot less broken at rendering than Opera.

My guess is that it's actually the opposit, but that web developers has been a bit lazy with web standards for a few years [smile]
Yeah, but my view on the matter is two-fold:
1) I don't give a damn about web standards if I can't read the sites I want to read. Like I care that a site I frequent doesn't follow web standards. If it doesn't work in a browser, that browser is broken. Screw the ACID test.
2) The W3C can go to hell. Those idiots have no idea what they're doing.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
coding penguin
coding penguin
Quote:
Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Opera.


BeanDog
BeanDog
Why I hate IE7:

View Source seems to work on about 75% of web pages. The other 25% do absolutely nothing when I click View Source. No error message, nothing.

MS's Web Developer plugin (that makes IE7 almost equal to FF for web development) causes IE7 to crash without warning or error about 3 times per my work day. I eventually had to remove it, because I was losing work when it would crash.

IE7 is a CPU hog. This current instance of IE7, which I started this morning, has racked up almost 3 solid hours of CPU time according to Task Manager.

So, I have to use IE7 at work, but I use FireFox at home.
demonkoryu
demonkoryu
Are you a developer? Then use firefox (and if you're a web developer, IE too).
Else I heartily recommend Opera.
demonkoryu
demonkoryu
Quote:
Original post by Promit
2) The W3C can go to hell. Those idiots have no idea what they're doing.


They are just trying to be helpful.....
Lode
Lode
Firefox. Unlike Opera and IE, Firefox doesn't say "click here to activate this control" on flash and java games, requiring an extra click.
MindWipe
MindWipe
Quote:
Original post by superpig
I use Firefox, mainly for extensions like this one. I've also found IE7 to be extremely slow on some computers, I'm not sure why.


If you're a webdeveloper have you tried FireBug. It's just the most amazing thing. It can debug &#106avascript, it can show exactly what div is where (by using a semitransparent overlay) and how values change in dhtml, it has just got tons of amazing features.<br><br>/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Muhammad Haggag
Muhammad Haggag
Quote:
Original post by lulul
Quote:
Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Opera.

Opera FTW.

Quote:
Yeah, but my view on the matter is two-fold:
1) I don't give a damn about web standards if I can't read the sites I want to read. Like I care that a site I frequent doesn't follow web standards. If it doesn't work in a browser, that browser is broken. Screw the ACID test.
2) The W3C can go to hell. Those idiots have no idea what they're doing.

I agree with both points, but the only shitty site I visit often is Microsoft's MSDN, so I only use IE for that.

demonkoryu
demonkoryu
Quote:
I agree with both points, but the only shitty site I visit often is Microsoft's MSDN, so I only use IE for that.


Firefox works quite well with MSDN Library. Are they still using ActiveX?
rollo
rollo
Quote:
Original post by MindWipe
If you're a webdeveloper have you tried FireBug. It's just the most amazing thing. It can debug &#106avascript, it can show exactly what div is where (by using a semitransparent overlay) and how values change in dhtml, it has just got tons of amazing features.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></blockquote><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br/><br/>I love Firebug! Its one of the few apps where I go "Damn! this thing is hot, but I really like it to do this as well" - and the feature is right there in a menu already :D <br/><br/>One of my favorites is that it adds a global logger you can use for wnywhere in your scripts. Just do console.debug("some text") and it will output the the console windows. Very useful for quick debugging, and much nicer than alert messages.
idloco
idloco
Quote:
Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:
Original post by lulul
Quote:
Original post by load_bitmap_file
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Opera.

Opera FTW.
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
ukdeveloper
ukdeveloper
I've used IE4,5,6,7, Firefox, Mozilla, Camino, Konqueror, Dillo, Lynx, Evolution, Opera and Safari, as well as the old Netscape variants and that disgusting mess bundled in with AOL's bloatware circa 2000.

IE7: Fast and full of features and plugins, but prone to locking up and losing everything. Would be nice if the tab-view actually updated in real time like the Vista taskbar and Alt-Tab does.

Firefox: Nothing works out of the box, it takes 3000 years to boot up on a high end machine, and it's full of annoying things like the broken Find tool and the dialogue box thing asking you to auto-download a plugin only for Firefox to tell you Flash player doesn't exist. Earlier versions were horrifically unstable, and regular Mozilla is way way faster in my experience if a little clumsy and outdated.

Opera: Tried it and loved it... for 5 minutes. Slow startup time, poor rendering and dodgy support for everything, and those widgets were just plain irritating and screen clutter. Bloaty interface which didn't work too well. Similar compatibility issues to Firefox.

Mozilla: Like Firefox except faster and less user-friendly. Felt like an open-source Netscape Navigator/Communicator ripoff.

Safari: Not too bad, but lacking in features. And the keychain thing is annoying. No huge complaints, though - it gets the job done.

Camino: Nothing to complain about, just like a stripped down Safari.

Konqueror: Don't get me started. It supports nothing and those constant "Would you like to accept this cookie" dialogue boxes every 5ms made my blood boil. Also everything appearing broken and "You are using a non-standard browser... click here to update/upgrade" appearing on Google Mail and just about every other page when CSS didn't work. It's just a KDE file browser that happens to be able to access the Internet. It is poor at either "purpose" IMHO.

Dillo/Evolution: small, light and fast. No real complaints here.

Lynx: Not really practical for modern websites as it's text based. Maybe would have been far more useful circa 1993, but now it's just a geek toy IMHO.

My £0.02.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.