Original Post
I was trying to help a friend with a render target issue. I don't have access to the code though. The problem is this: he could create a big render target (texture), 1024x1024, but a rectangle of only 1024x768 would draw. The back buffer was also 1024x768! Coincidence? Maybe? The viewport was being set correctly, and it worked fine when using a render target of 768x768. Changing the back buffer size seemed to support my theory that there was some correlation. A possibly significant bit of information is that he was using a Radeon 9800 Pro. I actually remember hearing a long time ago that for some hardware you shouldn't use render targets bigger than your back buffer, but I don't think I ever caught why at the time. Anyone know anything about this? Any suggestions as to how to solve the problem? I was thinking maybe the problem is only for render targets that are also textures, and maybe he could render to a render target surface and copy it to a texture if his hardware didn't support rendering to bigger render targets.