Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Do you believe in god?

Started by GCoda Apr 12, 2007 at 4:52 AM 2115 replies 731.3k views
Original Post
GCoda
GCoda
Hey, I was wondering how many people in here believe in God so I wanted to ask that? I believe in the God who's Son Jesus Christ is, who came down from heaven so that whosoever believes him shall not perish but have eternal life, with him, because He gave his own life for us. I see him as my life's new lord now, after deciding to give my life to him and follow him. So what about you, has there been any big turning point in your life?
Jesus loves you!
Override
Override
no
until evidence changes my mind.

And I have no need for an emotional cushion.

[Edited by - Override on April 12, 2007 6:08:23 AM]
shmoove
shmoove
No.

shmoove
ToohrVyk
ToohrVyk
I believe that God does not exist, that immortal souls do not exist, that life has no purpose other than the one we choose, that ethics are a consequence of our faiths and our gregarious instincts, and that death is the final and irreversible disappearence of consciousness and identity. I believe that the human mind is not truly free, but rather determined by physical processes and events that are beyond our current comprehension, but I do consider the illusion of freedom convincing enough that we should act as if it were real. I also believe the human mind and body to be so inherently flawed, it's not even funny anymore.

I also believe Chuck Norris is so awesome, he's the most annoying internet meme ever!
daviangel
daviangel
My college biology professor had his college paid for since he was going to be a Franciscan monk but a week before he took his vows for some reason he stopped thinking there was a GOD and that we are all just chemicals and everything you see/do/feel is chemical based and when you die you become nothing because all chemical reactions cease!
He was definitely an atheist when I had him for my teacher in college but it's strange to me that he spent 4 years or more obsessed with religion and he could quote you anything from the bible since that's all they did several times a day was read the bible, and now he doesn't believe a bit in it?
Anyways being raised a Catholic the "fear" of god was instilled in me since I can remeber so even if you don't believe you don't say so. When I read "The Brothers Karamazov" in HS gave me the biggest reason not to believe in him but every now and then I start to believe he's around since who else would be torturing my soul all the time?

p.s. I had a near death experience also actually in HS too ie I crashed my bike off a 100ft cliff and somehow survived and I saw/hear things i.e. tunnel of light, floating over body,etc that could be explained religiously if I wanted to believe or scientifically either way you look at it so it wasn't a lifechanging experience as I thought it would be...
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
GCoda
GCoda
Please everyone, feel free to explain why you don't believe if you don't, like some posters did.
Jesus loves you!
kanzler
kanzler
I believe in God. No 'big turning point' however, I was raised religiously. And just so you know: The GDNet lounge isn't the best place to discuss or talk about religion. But I guess the rather disrespectful picture posted above already gave you a clue.
Cypher19
Cypher19
Quote:
Original post by kanzler
But I guess the rather disrespectful picture posted above already gave you a clue.


Why d'ya gotta hate on ceiling cat?
joanusdmentia
joanusdmentia
Quote:
Original post by GCoda
Please everyone, feel free to explain why you don't believe if you don't, like some posters did.


This is so asking for a Letterman style "Top 10 reasons NOT to believe in God!" list. [grin]
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The nly verdict is vengeance; a vendett o
DaBookshah
DaBookshah
Quote:
Original post by kanzler
rather disrespectful picture


For the humor-impaired, it's called a joke.
oliii
oliii
not really :)
Everything is better with Metal.
superpig
superpig
I do, but not your God.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Penten
Penten
Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
I believe that God does not exist, that immortal souls do not exist, that life has no purpose other than the one we choose, that ethics are a consequence of our faiths and our gregarious instincts, and that death is the final and irreversible disappearence of consciousness and identity. I believe that the human mind is not truly free, but rather determined by physical processes and events that are beyond our current comprehension, but I do consider the illusion of freedom convincing enough that we should act as if it were real. I also believe the human mind and body to be so inherently flawed, it's not even funny anymore.

I also believe Chuck Norris is so awesome, he's the most annoying internet meme ever!


what he said.
miminawewe
miminawewe
I definately do. I think that to believe that there is no God or a superior being that created the universe requires more faith than someone who believes in God.
The world is too complicated to have evolved. Anyway if it evolved then we should expect life on all the other planets that evolved according to the planets' environment.
Simian Man
Simian Man
I believe in God, but I don't imagine him as a "person" like he's depicted in the bible.
Spoonbender
Spoonbender
Quote:
Original post by miminawewe
The world is too complicated to have evolved.

Oh? How can you tell? Have you tested the maximum possible complexity of evolved things? Since you haven't evolved anything like the world yourself, you're hardly qualified to say whether it is "too complicated to have evolved".

On the other hand, the world (or most species living on it, anyway) are definitely far too flawed to have been designed. (and I can say that because we humans are fairly good judges of good/bad design, having designed a fair amount of things ourselves, whereas we're pretty clueless when it comes to evolution)

At least unless you believe in a drunk, stoned god. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Penten
Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
I believe that God does not exist, that immortal souls do not exist, that life has no purpose other than the one we choose, that ethics are a consequence of our faiths and our gregarious instincts, and that death is the final and irreversible disappearence of consciousness and identity. I believe that the human mind is not truly free, but rather determined by physical processes and events that are beyond our current comprehension, but I do consider the illusion of freedom convincing enough that we should act as if it were real. I also believe the human mind and body to be so inherently flawed, it's not even funny anymore.

I also believe Chuck Norris is so awesome, he's the most annoying internet meme ever!


what he said.


What he said.
Stani R
Stani R
Nope

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.