Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

weird SVN merging issues

Started by tHomahwk Apr 27, 2007 at 4:54 PM 4 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
tHomahwk
tHomahwk
I'm working in a group with 3 other programmers and we are noticing a lot of weird issues with SVN, specifically when updating/committing to the server. Many times when one of us commits a file to the server, and some one else grabs the files, or if the person who committed the files updates from the servers, these changes become undone. In most cases, the project has no collisions (a.k.a. conflicts) and so that should be ruled out as an option. I am just curious if anyone has ever seen this before or any other weird SVN issues. I don't recall seeing something like this with CVS, but I haven't used it as extensively as SVN. We have a pretty massive code base and don't want to switch to another source versioning system right now. Any comments? tHom
chollida1
chollida1
Does the file contain the histroy for the commit you are missing?

I've never had any problems of this sort with SVN. The only thing I can think of is that the commit never went through because you had changes on the server and you didn't sync before your commit.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Jan-Lieuwe
Jan-Lieuwe
I'm a happy SVN user and never saw the issues you're encountering. Maybe you can find what's causing your problem @ http://www.svnforum.org/

(I used other versioning software before - not CVS though - and SVN is the one I'm most satisfied with so far).
tHomahwk
tHomahwk
The file on the server does contain the correct information in revision 1896, however in revision 1906, its changed back to the initial state and the guy who committed it, never touched that area of code. I would like to say that this is not an isolated incident and we have been having the issues for approximately one month or so.

1 Last thing...we have the most recent client for SVN.

tHom
Bregma
Bregma
It sounds like wither people are not doing updates before they commit (and are using --force), or else are copying files into and out of their local working copies so they clobber updates. Either one defeats the purpose of SVN.

I have certainly never seen that problem without improper usage. On the contrary: I often get conflicts on updates that make no sense and have to be examined character by character to resolve before I can commit.

--smw
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer
tHomahwk
tHomahwk
I will agree with Bregma where I have seen SVN give a conflict on a blank line before. As far as your other 2 points, SVN won't let you commit until you've updated (and we're all using only the Windows GUI version), so I cannot see how this could even happen. As far as #2 I don't see that happening but I will check with everyone else.

thanks again,

tHom

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.