Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

AP Comp Sco

Started by darkzim May 5, 2007 at 6:44 PM 13 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
darkzim
darkzim
I take the AP CS test (AB) Tuesday morning in Java.... Is anyone else taking it then? From people who have already taken it, how was it? Im really worried about it, because I haven't had a teacher this semester...
---------------------------------darkzim
Stompy9999
Stompy9999
I'm also taking it on tuesday. I'm not too worried about it, as with any test you just eliminate the obviously wrong answers. In this case, answers with glaring syntax errors[grin]
Megaman_22
Megaman_22
I'm taking it. The only thing I'm a little worried about is that Marine Biology bullshit, and maybe some of the big O stuff.
Eric Richards
load_bitmap_file
load_bitmap_file
It's an easy test. If you understand the basic Java language, basic OOP, and basic algorithms/data structures you're good to go. I don't remember offhand what the grading curve is like, but it should be fairly high.

The marine biology crap is nothing major, it's basically just a small library that they give you the reference/documention for and tell you to make something simple with it/see if you can read it.
kevtimc
kevtimc
Is this for high school?
Stiffler
Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.

Anyways, yeah I woudln't stress over the marine biology stuff. Last year they gave you all this code full of little functions and a ton of accessors. Just make sure you focus on what the questions asking and not get overwelhmed.

Also from what I remember about last years tests algorithms and data structures were very important. There were a lot of questions about tress and linked lists. Good luck!
~Mark Schadler
kevtimc
kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.


Luckies. All my school has is a crap Visual Basic/HTML class; certainly no AP courses.
Samith
Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.


Luckies. All my school has is a crap Visual Basic/HTML class; certainly no AP courses.


If you feel confident enough in your abilities, you can still take the AP test. All you have to do is tell your advisor you want to take the test, pay the fee, and take it. Being in an AP class isn't required in order to take the test (this is true for any AP test).
kevtimc
kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.


Luckies. All my school has is a crap Visual Basic/HTML class; certainly no AP courses.


If you feel confident enough in your abilities, you can still take the AP test. All you have to do is tell your advisor you want to take the test, pay the fee, and take it. Being in an AP class isn't required in order to take the test (this is true for any AP test).


That would be nice if I knew Java.
Samith
Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.


Luckies. All my school has is a crap Visual Basic/HTML class; certainly no AP courses.


If you feel confident enough in your abilities, you can still take the AP test. All you have to do is tell your advisor you want to take the test, pay the fee, and take it. Being in an AP class isn't required in order to take the test (this is true for any AP test).


That would be nice if I knew Java.

Trust me, it is probably worth your time to learn the Java and take the test. If you know C++ well enough it shouldn't be too hard to pick up an AP comp sci study book to learn what you need to pass the test. I didn't do this in high school, and right now I'm studying for a test I'll take on Tuesday to test out of one of the intro computer science classes here at my university. I wish I had just taken the AP test in high school, because the test I'm going to take probably isn't going to be as easy.

Anyway, best of luck to those of you who are taking the test AP test Tuesday morning.
kevtimc
kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Samith
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
Yeah, this is for high school.


Luckies. All my school has is a crap Visual Basic/HTML class; certainly no AP courses.


If you feel confident enough in your abilities, you can still take the AP test. All you have to do is tell your advisor you want to take the test, pay the fee, and take it. Being in an AP class isn't required in order to take the test (this is true for any AP test).


That would be nice if I knew Java.

Trust me, it is probably worth your time to learn the Java and take the test. If you know C++ well enough it shouldn't be too hard to pick up an AP comp sci study book to learn what you need to pass the test. I didn't do this in high school, and right now I'm studying for a test I'll take on Tuesday to test out of one of the intro computer science classes here at my university. I wish I had just taken the AP test in high school, because the test I'm going to take probably isn't going to be as easy.

Anyway, best of luck to those of you who are taking the test AP test Tuesday morning.


It may be too late for me now, I'm out of HS soon. What does the test you're taking now cover?
Stiffler
Stiffler
yeah, my school didn' have an AP either. In fact we didn't even have a programming class I just independently signed up for the test. the only drawback is that you must provide the cost for the test out of pocket and then the school will reimburse you if you pass.
~Mark Schadler
darkzim
darkzim
Whew, its over! I think the questions in my review book (Baron's)were way harder than the actual test. I don't think I got any of the Big-Oh questions, though (left one or two of those blank).
---------------------------------darkzim
Svenjamin
Svenjamin
Unfortunately, my high school doesn't offer AP CS. I am however taking the AP Calculus (AB) test tomorrow morning and the AP Literature test on thursday. Ugh.
Anyways, Good luck.
bschneid
bschneid
Quote:
Original post by Stiffler
yeah, my school didn' have an AP either. In fact we didn't even have a programming class I just independently signed up for the test. the only drawback is that you must provide the cost for the test out of pocket and then the school will reimburse you if you pass.


Perhaps for your school, but for my school you must pay the 80 something dollar fee to take any AP test. They'd probably kill anyone who signed up for the programming test since the only programming (if you want to call it that) class we have is a web design class which covers silly HTML topics that kindergarteners could understand. I'd be the only one taking it, and probably the only one interested. You are mucho lucky if your school has programming classes, in my opinion. My school's big thing has always been biology/genetics. Apparently my junior year Honors Genetics class was like college level or something. Completely useless, but no other options. On a side note, I've got US History friday.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.