Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Does anyone remember this Gamedev Game?

Started by HackMaster321 Jun 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM 6 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
HackMaster321
HackMaster321
Ok, I've been looking through the forums for a while, and have yet to find this game again. I think, and am relatively sure, that it was first posted around 3-4 years ago, and after I lost the download, have yet to find it again. So any help locating it would be the greatest thing ever. It was a side scrolling platformer, where all you did was run from the left of the screen to the right, throw your grappling hook to get on ledges and swing (like a pendulum), and avoid being seen or heard by the randomly placed guards. All the levels were randomly generated, and each level got longer with more guards. When you hit the ground, the higher in the air you were, the bigger the circle was (for how loud the hit was, though the game had no REAL sound). There was also a timer, so you had to hurry to the end of the ever increasing levels. The levels consisted of bamboo platforms and pagodas. I don't recall if it was made by someone from gamedev or just made by a person who posted a link to the download on gamedev, but I know for a fact that there was a thread for it, that ended up around 3-4 pages long before dieing out (at least how I recall it). Once again, if anyone knows this game, or has a link to where I might find it, that would be great. This game was amazing for such a simple concept, and I would love to be able to play it again. I also feel people who haven't played it, should play it, because it rocks so.
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks
Ravuya
Ravuya
Have you checked the GD Showcase? We still have a lot of old titles in there.
Nytegard
Nytegard
Doh! I thought you were talking about the GameDev Gauntlet project. I always wonder whatever became of that...
Endurion
Endurion
No real help, but i remember that game. Quite nice.

I think it had "Ninja" somewhere in the title, but a search didn't turn up anything useful. AFAIK it was written by a Gamedev member.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>
baconfish
baconfish
I remember seeing a game very similar to what you describe on gamehippo. I can't remember the title either, but 'nikujin' seems to match the description.
Ok.
HackMaster321
HackMaster321
Grah! I must find it. Nikujin isn't it, as this game's whole point was to just go from one end to the other, and you couldn't attack any of the guards, you were just supposed to avoid them.

I thought it had ninja in the title as well, but have yet to find anything (which makes me more suspect as to it being so old it will never be found again). I shall run through the GDshowcase again just to see, but I don't know that I'll find it there.

I'm mostly just glad I'm not the only one who remembers this game. Now if we could just find it.
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks
HackMaster321
HackMaster321
RIGHT AS YOU POST IT! I found it through GameHippo, but yes it is Super Secret Ninja, perhaps the greatest Ninja game ever! Thank you kind sir, and to anyone who hasn't played this game, please do! It is amazing.
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.