Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Question..

Started by T-Bone344 Jun 17, 2007 at 12:06 AM 7 replies 800+ views
Original Post
T-Bone344
T-Bone344
I would like to be sure I know exactly what Game Design/Level Design is. As for what I know, isn't it the people who create atmosphere and maps/levels and other visual aspects of video games? So, as an example, say I was a sports game designer or level designer, I would make all of the visual things and stadiums etc, correct or no? Also, is level design different from game design? Or are they the same thing? I am really interested in making this my career. I love video games, and my favorite part of them is what I imagine I would be building as being in one of those two careers. I'm really creative and good at problem solving and coming up with good ideas, and I like to express them. I am just curious as to what exactly these two careers consist of and how I should go about heading into them. Please reply! I'm looking forward to hearing your answers.
Sirisian
Sirisian
You're probably thinking of being a level designer or a graphic designer. Level designers tend to use the tools made by programmers to generate content while someone else actually designs the models and animations.

A game designer is one who plans out and manages the game idea and the people involved with it.
T-Bone344
T-Bone344
Do they both make pretty good money?
T-Bone344
T-Bone344
Actually, I will just ask this one last question.

The job I want is to be involved with creating weather, textures such as grass and fans/stadium views and interactive things and visuals in sports video games. What job do I need to look into for that?

Basically, when you look at everything surrounding you and all of the visuals in sports games, I want to be involved in creating that.

That's pretty much the only question I have left. I'm not too concerned about money, I want to enjoy my job and I think that doing what I've said above I will be happy.

Also, thank you for replying.
OrangyTang
OrangyTang
Quote:
Original post by T-Bone344
The job I want is to be involved with creating weather, textures such as grass and fans/stadium views and interactive things and visuals in sports video games. What job do I need to look into for that?

Basically, when you look at everything surrounding you and all of the visuals in sports games, I want to be involved in creating that.

Sounds like you're after an artist job. They went by the title of "Environment Artist" around here.
T-Bone344
T-Bone344
Would I have to be able to draw well? I'm not the best drawer, but I want to create the environments and atmosphere in sports games.
Kin the Pumpkin King
Kin the Pumpkin King
No, although it's nice to have a sketch of what you want to do, you can just make it in a 3D modeller. Take Blender, for example, it's free and easy to use. You just have to find the tutorials for it.

Try "www.blender.org".

You can also use 3DS Max or Maya, but they are both complicated for me and use way too much of my memory. Also, a bit or more than that, expensive.

If you want more information on this, try the specific forum for this issue, which should be the one after Game Design two after it.

I only mentioned blender because I used and liked it. It's opensource, but it has lots of members so it develops quite fast.

EDIT: But professionals usually use 3DS Max or Maya and Lightwave.
T-Bone344
T-Bone344
Thanks, kin! I looked into some of this and I found everything that sounds like what I want to do, or was at LEAST close. It was under Art and Game / Level Design.

Art: Effects Artist, Environment Artist, and Level Artist.

Game / Level Design: Goal Designer, Level Builder, and Level Designer.

If you could, please tell me what I should look into to get into that area of gaming. I will also check out Blender. I'm only 15 and I'm trying to get into this early, I really love the thought of creating worlds and environments! Especially for video games.

Thanks!
Sirisian
Sirisian
Practice creating low-poly models and vivid atmospheres.

Start simple and work your way up. Like try to model a can of soda in blender. Then maybe a tree and try to make it look realistic to the real thing without going overboard on the poly count. Then maybe try making a small building.

It's cool to just mess around and create random things you think of like space ships or something with a high amount detail. Learn how to texture the objects too.

You can't be a game designer without experience in the occupation so level designer or an artist position would be the next likely choice. You have to be good though.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.