Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

OS Dev Tutorial 8

Started by Crypter Jul 14, 2007 at 11:50 AM 4 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Crypter
Crypter
Hello everyone, At long last, the time to enter the 32 bit world is here: OS Development Series Tutorial 8: Protected Mode This tutorial does not go into using protected mode--We will do that later when we talk about direct hardware programming. However, it does explain how to jump into the 32 bit world. I have ran this through a spellchecker in an attempt to clean the series up a little. If there are any errors or questions, please let me know.[smile]
antiquechrono
antiquechrono
Hey there, I really appreciate what you are trying to do here and I hope you finish your series. It seems to me information on operating systems has allways been pretty scarce. Bookmarked!

However, I do think you are targeting the wrong audience. This is the board where many questions invovle "me want make games tell me how!" or "So I have this idea for the next great MMO but I have never programmed before."

In other words most of these people have no business attempting games before a hello world application let alone trying to develop an operating system which is one of the most complicated projects imaginable.

I suggest posting in the general programming thread instead :D
Crypter
Crypter
Thanks for the comments[smile]

You do make a valid point reguarding posting in "Beginners" reguarding
new OS Development tutorials.

I originally started posting here as this is ment to be a series
"for beginners". However, while it does refrence readers who has never
programmed (To get them started with the languages), posting new tutorials
(Like this one), can easily make beginner programmers either quit (Imagine
looking through a very technical document thinking of the low level
complexities of programming without much experience); or attempt to develop
an OS with no programming experience. (I do warn my readers in the first
tutorial under the Requirements section)

If anyone has any more suggestions on me posting updates in "For beginners",
feel free to post. If not, I'll give updates in "General programming".

Thanks for the feedback[smile]
Crypter
Crypter
The next tutorial has started, and I am quite pleased with it so far[smile]

For the curious, it goes over direct hardware programming, how hardware
communicates with software (At the hardware level depth); and microcontroller
programming.

This includes basic Intel 8042 keyboard microcontroller programming,
And enabling the 20th address line on the data bus to allow access of up
to 4 GB of memory.
Bimble Bob
Bimble Bob
It looks like a good series I don't think I've seen many others like it. If you fix up the spelling errors then it will be great.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
Ademan555
Ademan555
Yeah it's really cool, I remember looking at this stuff a year ago assuring myself i was going to write my own OS, heh, i wrote an OS that printed "Hello World" through the BIOS. Either way, your tutorials are very cool, but it would be even better if you wiki-ed them, because they could use some editing (spelling and grammar mostly, not to suggest that I'm some sort of grammar god or anything)

cheers
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out hi

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.