Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

"Shade Your World" shading contest

Started by Emmanuel Deloget Aug 4, 2007 at 6:14 AM 13 replies 5.4k views
XDigital
XDigital
Hmm, it's definitly not the theme I expected. Expecially because I have no knowledge concerning shaders. It seems that gamedev forces us to keep up with the time. Ok, it is hardware dependant, but is it platform dependant, too? Do we have to use MS Windows, or am I allowed to stick with Ubuntu?
Enquiring
XDigital
superpig
superpig
Your submission has to run inside FX Composer 2, which to my knowledge doesn't run on any platform other than Windows.

(BTW, this is not a replacement for 4E6. 4E6 will be running as well, in a few weeks).
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
blakedev
blakedev
This contest sounds interesting, except for my not being able to think of an original idea :-D

[Edited by - blakedev on August 5, 2007 3:38:47 PM]
rick_appleton
rick_appleton
Unfortunately I've been unable to get FX Composer 2 to actually run (here). In the hope that somebody might glance at it from here, I'll do the repost thing:

I get the following errors:

---------------------------Plugin Creation Error---------------------------Outer Exception:ExceptionType: SEHExceptionHelp Line:Message: External component has thrown an exception.Source: Tao.Platform.WindowsStackTrace: at Tao.Platform.Windows.Wgl.wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr deviceContext, IntPtr renderingContext)at FXComposer.Scene.Render.GlUtils.GLContext.MakeCurrent(Boolean OkWithNullDC) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\GlUtils\GLContext.cs:line 278at FXComposer.Scene.Render.GlUtils.GLContext..ctor() in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\GlUtils\GLContext.cs:line 167at FXComposer.Scene.Render.OpenGL.FXRenderDevice_GL.Initialize(Control control, IFXRenderDeviceCallback callback) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Devices\OpenGL\FXRenderDevice_GL.cs:line 507at FXComposer.Scene.Render.Services.FXDeviceService.GetRenderDevice(IFXVirtualDirectory directory) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Scene\Render\Services\FXDeviceService.cs:line 126at FXComposer.UI.Materials.MaterialsForm.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\UI\Materials\MaterialsForm.cs:line 460at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 345TargetSite: Boolean wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr, IntPtr)---------------------------OK---------------------------


If I then click ok I get the next error:

---------------------------Plugin Creation Error---------------------------Outer Exception:ExceptionType: SEHExceptionHelp Line:Message: External component has thrown an exception.Source: Tao.Platform.WindowsStackTrace: at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 352at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 314at FXComposer.UI.FXDockHostPanel.BuildChildForms(IFXVirtualDirectory startDir)at FXComposer.UI.FXDockHostPanel.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType)at FXComposer.UI.FXWindowContainer.Build(IFXPluginType pluginType)at FXComposer.Core.FXPluginManager.BuildPlugin(IFXPluginType pluginType, Object[] args) in d:\bld\devtools\FXComposer2\2.0\SDK\TOOLS\src\FXComposer2_NET2\Core\FXPluginManager.cs:line 345TargetSite: Boolean wglMakeCurrent(IntPtr, IntPtr)---------------------------OK---------------------------


[Edited by - rick_appleton on August 7, 2007 10:38:17 AM]
coding penguin
coding penguin
try also nvidia developers forums, might get help quicker there
rick_appleton
rick_appleton
Quote:
Original post by coding penguin
try also nvidia developers forums, might get help quicker there


The link in my post points at a post I made there two days ago. No replies yet though.
Emmanuel Deloget
Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by rick_appleton
Quote:
Original post by coding penguin
try also nvidia developers forums, might get help quicker there


The link in my post points at a post I made there two days ago. No replies yet though.

Download the latest drivers for your GPU. If it still doesn't work, try using the DirectX device instead of the OpenGL device (you might need to change the configuration files as the latest layout has been stored now).

What GPU/configuration do you have?
Emmanuel Deloget
Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by remigius
Quote:

... FX Composer provides true cross-platform functionality.


If only my newest NVidia card wasn't a GeForce Go440 [grin] I don't suppose it will work (well) on ATI hardware?

It should work fine on any DX9-class hardware, be it ATI, Intel or NVIDIA. Of course, a GeForce Go440 is going to be a bit weak...
rick_appleton
rick_appleton
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by rick_appleton
Quote:
Original post by coding penguin
try also nvidia developers forums, might get help quicker there


The link in my post points at a post I made there two days ago. No replies yet though.

Download the latest drivers for your GPU. If it still doesn't work, try using the DirectX device instead of the OpenGL device (you might need to change the configuration files as the latest layout has been stored now).

What GPU/configuration do you have?


I've got the latest drivers for my GPU (GeForce 6200) and am fully updated on WinXP Pro (service pack 2 plus updates). I've taken a look at all seemingly valid .xml and .cfg files in the root of FX Composer 2 but can't find any reference to a rendering device.
mindrot
mindrot
have you tried installing fxcomposer exclusivly?
i know it comes packaged with several plugins etc
and if i remember correctly, they are optional at install
christiancoder
christiancoder
I have a nv 6200 as well and I can't get any OpenGL app to run. I am crashing in wglMakeCurrent, can you try a simple gl app (like one of the NeHe tutorials)?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.