Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

best version of linux

Started by chuck22 Aug 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM 34 replies 6.9k views
Original Post
chuck22
chuck22
i am interested in installing linux on a newly bought desktop (right now there is no OS installed). i was wondering what would be a good version of linux to install. i don't want someone to suggest a version of linux just because they use it, i'm looking for something the suits my needs. i am a c++ programmer and am familiar with coding in a linux environment. i also know a bit about perl scripting...but that about does it for me. i don't need an extensive email program, or a gaming machine, just something user/programmer friendly. some guys at school recommended (k)ubuntu... also, i was wondering if anyone had any good experiences using/setting up a dual boot system with linux and windows xp pro? thanks
yaustar
yaustar
If you are new to Linux, then Kubuntu would be a decent choice as it is one of the easier distros to break into. Most of it is GUI driven and the community is always there to help.

If you are not afraid to get your hands dirty, then try Sabayon which is deemed 'cutting edge' and one of the better distros since it doesn't care too much about FOSS and installs, codecs, drivers, etc that are not open source when it installs the OS. The only problem is when you install new applications, the package manager is commandline based and compiles from source.

Currently I am running Ubuntu Gutsy (unreleased) on my Laptop and happily using Code::Blocks to develop in.
Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]
necreia
necreia
I'm going to suggest the parent, Ubuntu. Kubuntu is sub-version of it (just has a different Windowing system). Reason I suggest Ubuntu over Kubuntu for a Windows switcher is because it'll have more of a 'different look' (Kubuntu looks Windows-esk), as well as it's the main version so support steps on http://ubuntuforums.org/ will be more accurate. (Note: You can install Ubuntu or Kubuntu, and then install the other versions 'skin' at a later point and switch between them at startup, to choose which you prefer)

Given how you described your situation, I'm a C++ developer and I use Ubuntu for my main at-home machine (play both games and do development). Currently using Code::Blocks for my IDE.

To set up dual boot just download the ISO and boot from it. You'll go through a step-by-step that will allow you to set up the dual boot from within the Ubuntu installer. Here is the instructions for that: Link

[Edited by - necreia on August 14, 2007 2:26:25 PM]
fpsgamer
fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by chuck22
I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences using/setting up a dual boot system with linux and windows xp pro?


No.

Dual boot = headaches. Use VMWare. Its free.

eedok
eedok
The latest of the 2.6.x branch would probably be the best version. As for distribution, I say Linux Mint if you're not a fan of setting things up, or arch for speed and maintainability.

As for dual booting, I do it all the time, and I find VMware although being easier to set up severely lacks performance wise. It's not too hard as long as you can grasp the concept of how much free disk space you have.
python_regious
python_regious
I generally use Debian, however it can occasionally be a total bitch to setup. Ubuntu is good if you want something that will "just work".
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
rip-off
rip-off
Running Ubuntu in a VM is bliss.
tstrimp
tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer
Dual boot = headaches. Use VMWare. Its free.


I've never ran into any dual booting problems.

I'd recommend Sabayon, a flavor of Gentoo. Gentoo has great documentation and compiz-fuzion out of the box is very nice.
chuck22
chuck22
thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful. i did end up downloading Ubuntu overnight and will install it sometime today.

i had an internship a year ago using vmware and running different Windows vm's. i will agree with the noticeable performance hit when running even one vm. what's worse is the desktop only has 512 RAM but soon to be 1.5G - 2G once i get things going.

the other reason why i favor dual booting is because i'm at a good point to do it. there is nothing on the hard drive right now so if something does go wrong i don't lose anything important.

thanks again for the replies.
EnigmaticCoder
EnigmaticCoder
Quote:
thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful. i did end up downloading Ubuntu overnight and will install it sometime today.

i had an internship a year ago using vmware and running different Windows vm's. i will agree with the noticeable performance hit when running even one vm. what's worse is the desktop only has 512 RAM but soon to be 1.5G - 2G once i get things going.

the other reason why i favor dual booting is because i'm at a good point to do it. there is nothing on the hard drive right now so if something does go wrong i don't lose anything important.

thanks again for the replies.


You don't have to format your hard drive to dual boot. Ubuntu has a resize partition which allows you to keep your old files. Just be sure to defragment your hard drive first. Of course, kepping your old files doesn't really matter because you have nothing important on your HD, but at least you wouldn't have to reinstall windows.

I installed ubuntu a couple of days ago, and it went very smoothly.
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
Luckless
Luckless
Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by chuck22
I was wondering if anyone had any good experiences using/setting up a dual boot system with linux and windows xp pro?


No.

Dual boot = headaches. Use VMWare. Its free.


And what headaches do you get with dual booting that you don't get with VMWare?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
hydroo
hydroo
Quote:
Original post by necreia
I'm going to suggest the parent, Ubuntu. Kubuntu is sub-version of it (just has a different Windowing system). Reason I suggest Ubuntu over Kubuntu for a Windows switcher is because it'll have more of a 'different look' (Kubuntu looks Windows-esk),


That's no reason, imo 8[.
*randomtalk-kde>gnome*

Quote:

as well as it's the main version so support steps on http://ubuntuforums.org/ will be more accurate. (Note: You can install Ubuntu or Kubuntu, and then install the other versions 'skin' at a later point and switch between them at startup, to choose which you prefer)

Given how you described your situation, I'm a C++ developer and I use Ubuntu for my main at-home machine (play both games and do development). Currently using Code::Blocks for my IDE.

To set up dual boot just download the ISO and boot from it. You'll go through a step-by-step that will allow you to set up the dual boot from within the Ubuntu installer. Here is the instructions for that:



The Threadcreator stated that his PC is currently "blank" ...

You should install windows at first. When installing windows it just overwrites your bootloader, which renders your ubuntu unusable until your reinstalled grub (your linux-bootloader)
necreia
necreia
Quote:
Original post by hydroo
Quote:
Original post by necreia
I'm going to suggest the parent, Ubuntu. Kubuntu is sub-version of it (just has a different Windowing system). Reason I suggest Ubuntu over Kubuntu for a Windows switcher is because it'll have more of a 'different look' (Kubuntu looks Windows-esk),


That's no reason, imo 8[.
*randomtalk-kde>gnome*


I mentioned that because (from experience with myself and some of my friends) it's helped switch due to not getting overly fustrated with intuition and expectation. (If it looks like something you know, you expect it to function like something you know... whereas if it looks different or new you expect it to operate different or new).

Different strokes for different folks.

[Edited by - necreia on August 14, 2007 3:25:35 PM]
ukdeveloper
ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by necreia
I'm going to suggest the parent, Ubuntu. Kubuntu is sub-version of it (just has a different Windowing system). Reason I suggest Ubuntu over Kubuntu for a Windows switcher is because it'll have more of a 'different look' (Kubuntu looks Windows-esk), as well as it's the main version so support steps on http://ubuntuforums.org/ will be more accurate. (Note: You can install Ubuntu or Kubuntu, and then install the other versions 'skin' at a later point and switch between them at startup, to choose which you prefer)


Personally, I'd go for the standard Ubuntu and download KDE through the package manager if you want KDE. Apparently Kubuntu has some problems as a distro and the devteam have a bit of a "meh" attitude to the bugs that appear etc. Like I say "apparently" and I've never used Kubuntu myself, but you can easily obtain KDE for standard Ubuntu if you want to be on the safe side.

EDIT: you said you've already downloaded Ubuntu. Hope it works out for you!
chuck22
chuck22
Quote:

EDIT: you said you've already downloaded Ubuntu. Hope it works out for you!


well i'm having a few problems installing it on my IBM. but i've posted in their support/bug forums and am trying to get it worked out.
EnigmaticCoder
EnigmaticCoder
What type of problems...?

The only problem I had was my resolution, and I navigated to the 'forward' button using ctrl tab (I think), but I could have fixed the resolution by using the right drivers.
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
I'm posting from my linux box right now. I have no sound, my resolution is stuck at 1024x768, and I can hardly read the text I'm typing right now becauase I can't figure out how it got so small. It's fucking GREAT!
gumpy
gumpy
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
I'm posting from my linux box right now. I have no sound, my resolution is stuck at 1024x768, and I can hardly read the text I'm typing right now becauase I can't figure out how it got so small. It's fucking GREAT!


pro tip: shoot suse until it dies.
This space for rent.
chuck22
chuck22
Quote:
Original post by anothrguitarist
What type of problems...?

The only problem I had was my resolution, and I navigated to the 'forward' button using ctrl tab (I think), but I could have fixed the resolution by using the right drivers.


well i can't get it to boot and install the OS. it get's to the point of mounting the root file system and hangs.
Raghar
Raghar
Quote:
Original post by chuck22

also, i was wondering if anyone had any good experiences using/setting up a dual boot system with linux and windows xp pro?


Debian, suze 10.2, ubuntu. If you'd use Debian, use Debian TESTING not stable. Stable is supposed to be used in SECURE environments, testing is supposed to provide recent software.

The only problem is necessity to use administrator password about 1/3 as much often as in Vista.

I often assign one partition as shared partition, so I could have data and all programs on the same place in windoze and linux. After install of sun java 6.0 into both OSes, and addition of Eclipse, I could use both systems without worrying about OS. It's interesting in case windoze blows to pieces, it's easy to continue work as if nothing happened.

BTW install windoze XP first because you'd avoid repairing boot loader. And allocate only 1/3 or less of your HD for windoze partition, the main data partition should be shared (visible from both Linux and windoze).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.