Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Artist needed for 2d Quake-like multiplayer game in Flash

Started by mkyol22 Aug 16, 2007 at 6:32 AM 7 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
mkyol22
mkyol22
Team name: Undecided Project name: Undecided Brief description: The gameplay will be like a 2D version of Quake, in that it will feature fast, intense, solid multiplayer deathmatch action. The objective of the game is to "frag" other players, without getting fragged. The players are ranked at the end of a round, before the level changes and play continues with scores reset. For the character sprite, I think it would be best if it's just a simple stick figure, but with ultra-fluid? animation. The character animations would include running, picking up weapon, jumping, aiming, shooting, dying, hurting (getting hurt, not hurting others ;). The game will feature different type of weapons, for example shotgun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, lightning bolt, etc. The game will feature realistic stick-figure physics, so that for example a rocket blast will actually blast the guy away. By this the players will be able to 'rocket-jump', as in Quake game. The game will feature blood & gore, so that there will be blood spitting, "gibs", and body parts flown away. The view of the game is a 2d side scroller. In the level there will be such things as elevators, teleports, stairs and such. The level is big enough horizontally (and maybe also vertically on some levels) to scroll multiple screens. The levels could mimick some of quake's deathmatch maps, in 2D form. The levels I think should be made up of lines (not tile-based), so the character can react to the slope of the line. As in the Quake game there will be powerups such as ring of invisibility, quad damage, invulnerability, etc. Therefore the players would figure out the map and camp (or stop by) these spots. The player aims with the mouse, like in the the game Abuse. The project just passed its initial concept phase.... now. Target aim: Freeware, made for fun. Compensation: If desired, I am willing to pay, albeit not much, around 60 dollars for the entire asset (negotiable). Technology: Flash ActionScript, with C++ for backend server. Talent needed: Need for art for: - character animation (vector drawing in Flash) - weapons and items (bitmapped) Also maybe someone can design the levels in Flash? Team structure: Max Lee, lead programmer and initial game conceptor. Website: None Contacts: maxmklee@gmail.com mkyol22@hotmail.com (MSN) Previous Work by Team: I was recently employed at a major game company for 8 months working on the Front End using ActionScript. I have made a couple ActionScript games, and bunch of C++ programs. I have made a Java audio player called Swing Player(http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Players/Swing-Player.shtml). Feedback: Encouraging only
d000hg
d000hg
That 60 dollars is tempting me, I can tell you. But I'm not sure if flash supports fast-paced on-line gaming like this? Have you done initial research into the technology?

Am I right this game is going to be a little similar to Stick Soldiers in some ways?
mkyol22
mkyol22
Stick Soldiers, yes as I was writing the description I felt something was lingering on my mind and it was Stick Soldiers game that I have played before.
So yes the game would be similar to Stick Soldiers, but it will be multiplayer.

I have done preliminary research.. there are Flash multiplayer games out there such as car racing, and top-down shooter (stick figure style gameplay with top-down view) with several people. And also massively-multiplayer games for kids featuring a bunch of penguins. There is a mechnism in Flash that allows persistent connection to a server.. and although I would have to further research I know that it's possible and I know how the basic mechnism for net play works. Also for interest sake there are various socket-server packages out there (such as ElectroServer), but I plan on using just WinSock in c++ to implement the server.

Also for the interested artists I wouldn't mind seeing some samples of your work.

Thanks,
Max





Skulburn
Skulburn
I would be willing to do it for $60 (ive PMed you)
CEO/Project ManagerDigitalMind Studios
ninvertigo
ninvertigo
I would suggest using particle constraints for animation. In which case picking up an artist to make static body part images and later having them drag parts around to construct animations would be a breeze. Also allowing inter-changable parts. Id look into it.. you may not even need much of an artist ;)
__ODIN__
__ODIN__
You might want to check out the stuff N's done as well. Would be cool to add in that kind of maneuvering to a Quake style deathmatch.

There's also some good tips on how they did their physics, etc.. both in their tutorials and in the forums.

Also; I believe I played a stick-soldier multiplayer game (Soldat, maybe).

Anyways; best of luck, and I'm sure it'll rock!

Allan
GPxz
GPxz
I played QuakeWorld for a long years

Sometime ago while working on a 2d sidescroller i thought in doing a 2D Sidescroller version of QuakeWorld

In the end i realized that it wouldnt work well, maybe i am wrong
My MSN: gerunbaum@hotmail.com
mkyol22
mkyol22
Hi, thanks for all the (general) interest, that's very exciting for a new-time poster, although I've been lingering around in GameDev for years.

ninvertigo: Yeah.. I was thinking of that for the 2d stick man, but I haven't really thought about doing it with 2d images, I think that would work nicely, especially when body parts are blown up (piece by piece..).

__ODIN__: N! Yes I've played that game before, and I was very impressed with its fluid animation (and gameplay). I think this game got my subconcious thinking that stick-man animation can be so cool. Agree that it would be to incorporate the fluidity, 'solidness', and physics into the 2d quake game.
Soldat I haven't played before, I just checked it out now briefly, and it looks very impressive.. this is the kind of game that could be called 'quake 2d' (although it's missing armor? and powerups, and I think I get killed too easily (that shouldn't happen to a veteran quake player like me ;)). Thanks for the great links, it'll really help actually.

GPxz: I did too :). I think factors that could contribute to the quake 2d not working well include the recreating the freedom of 3d shooter in a 2d format. I mean 3d shooters are so interesting because it mimicks the real world (in terms of dimension) and also the aiming, it's in 3d! (to put it bluntly). I think this could be done with clever level design, and good aiming system (I mean, I don't think Stick Soldiers support mouse lookup?!). Of course, there are other important semi-intangibles, such as creating that solid feel and brutal action of Quake (kind of like N's, but with more action of course). Gibs in Soldat are well done by the way, and it feels pretty solid. Playing Soldat made me think of Worms. Also Samurai Jack came to mind when playing N.

Now I'm not sure about pure stick-man, and single-line drawn levels, I think 2d images could work well. Anyway I think the majority of the game can be figured out and implemented without getting custom art right this point, so I'm not in a big hurry in that department. I think I should first make a simple version of it working to demonstrate the multi-player functionality (it will be playable in a web browser via Flash). Truth to told I haven't made the server program, but I have 'just' finished a simple multi-threaded client/server software using WinSock that automatically delivers files :).

Max














BigChippa
BigChippa
hey i might be able to help you
just tell me like um what kind of
charecters u have in mind and i can
draw somthing up in like 3-4 days
and show u.....

bigmcn87@yahoo.com

u can reach me there....

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.