Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[web] Strange FTP problems

Started by violentcrayon Aug 24, 2007 at 12:18 PM 6 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
violentcrayon
violentcrayon
Well, a good friend of mine was kind enough to set up a sub domain on his web space. We've run into a strange error, though, and neither of us has a clue what the problem or solution could be. Basically, I log into the FTP server with my info, upload some files, and then they're not displayed on the web page. I close the FTP client, open it again, check to see if the file is there. It is. So I open two other FTP clients I have. Both show the file. Then, I point Firefox to ftp.subdomain.domain.com/filename and it asks for my username and password. When Firefox connects, it displays the file! But if I browse to www.subdomain.domain.com/filename, it doesn't work. It gives a 404 error. However, if he uploads something to the same FTP server, then it will show in its HTTP variant! We're both completely lost.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Ibatex
Ibatex
What if you leave out the www.?
violentcrayon
violentcrayon
Doesn't matter. Still same problem.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Sander
Sander
My first guess is that you're being bitten by UNIX file permissions. With your FTP program, make sure all the files you created have permission 644 (or -rw-r--r--). All the directories you create must be 755 or -rwxr-xr-x.

If that doesn't work then consider that ftp.subdomain.domain.com does not have to be the same server as www.subdomain.domain.com. Contact your hosting provider or whoever runs your domain name setting.
violentcrayon
violentcrayon
Checking the permissions was the first thing we did. Everything was fine. I guess I'll have to have my friend contact his web host. Thanks for the help.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
IainC
IainC
Sounds like you're uploading to somewhere other than the web root.

Perhaps you see a directory named "public_html", "www", "htdocs" or similar when you log into FTP?

Often that's used as the actual root of your website so that you can also upload things which shouldn't be web-accessible.
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
violentcrayon
violentcrayon
Afraid I see no such thing...I only see the root directory, /. In fact, the files that my friend uploads don't show up when I connect to the SAME ftp server...his show up on the web, but my don't...mine show up on the FTP, but his don't.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Sander
Sander
Do you use different usernames to log in? I think so, because it looks like you log into a different directory (i.e. the two usern have a different $HOME directory set). The both of you should log in with an old fashioned commandline client, then give the "pwd" command.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.