Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

pwn

Started by AcePilot Aug 26, 2007 at 2:13 PM 20 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
AcePilot
AcePilot
Even after some in depth research I am unclear on to the exact origin of the words 'pwn' and 'pwned'. Are they simply common typing errors of 'own' and 'owned'? (This is quite likely since o and p are quite close together on the keyboard. Just Curious.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
it started as "owned"
it was occasionally misspelled as "pwned"
it became common to make fun of those people by perpetrating the term "pwned"
it became "cool" amongst those people to to use the term "pwned".

it's a bit of a feedback system.
Densun
Densun
The thing I don't like it about it is that people pronounce it as powned. If they pronounced it pweened, it wouldn't bother me as much.

Yes, I hear people actually say it, not just write it.
ArchWizard
ArchWizard
Quote:
Original post by mtw
The thing I don't like it about it is that people pronounce it as powned. If they pronounced it pweened, it wouldn't bother me as much.

Yes, I hear people actually say it, not just write it.


I say "porned." Problem solved!
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
alnite
alnite
I have read somewhere that it originated from the first Warcraft at the end of the Orc campaign. One of the developers made a spelling mistake but it was uncaught and made it to the release version.

I am not sure if it's correct though.
LockeCole
LockeCole
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned

At least, that's what I always thought.

Edit: The internet is too quick for me these days.
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
I pronounce it pwunned (rhymes with stunned). It just sounds sillier that way.

What about lol? Is that supposed to rhyme with doll or are you supposed to say L-O-L? I go for the latter unless I add -lerskates to the end.

This new fangled internet slang is too much for an oldie like me.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
LockePick
LockePick
Quote:
From Urban Dictionary
Pwned
What happens to retards who keep arguing about the origin of pwned on the Internet

You guys were just pwned

Garnered a lol (rhymes with hole).
Extrarius
Extrarius
Quote:
Original post by mtw
The thing I don't like it about it is that people pronounce it as powned.[...]
"powned" makes sense etymologically, which is far more than can be said for any other pronunciation I've heard used.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
fpsgamer
fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
Quote:
Original post by mtw
The thing I don't like it about it is that people pronounce it as powned.[...]
"powned" makes sense etymologically, which is far more than can be said for any other pronunciation I've heard used.


Well the misspelling is key to the word's meaning.

Without pronouncing the p, how else will you convey that you are using the exaggerated version: pwned, as opposed to the actual word: owned.

This is what happens when you say aloud what was initially intended to be read.
Omid Ghavami
Omid Ghavami
Quote:
From Urban Dictionary
A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft...


Funny
Best regards, Omid
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
BOOM! HEADSHOT!
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
oliii
oliii
Quote:
Original post by Omid Ghavami
Quote:
From Urban Dictionary
A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft...


Funny


More like Quake 3. Was the first time I saw it. Also, we used 'mice' for 'nice' at work during our frantic Quake3 CTF sessions, due to a guy constantly mispelling it. good times.
Everything is better with Metal.
TheGilb
TheGilb
Quote:
Original post by AcePilot
Even after some in depth research

You mean you've been playing online games more or less constantly? [smile]

Back home we used to use the word 'poned' to describe being pissed and stoned at the same time [totally]
Steadtler
Steadtler
Like every fundamental life question, this has already been answered by a webcomic.
Rixter
Rixter
Quote:
Original post by oliii
Quote:
Original post by Omid Ghavami
Quote:
From Urban Dictionary
A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft...


Funny


More like Quake 3. Was the first time I saw it. Also, we used 'mice' for 'nice' at work during our frantic Quake3 CTF sessions, due to a guy constantly mispelling it. good times.


There existed Warcraft before World of Warcraft.

I remember people saying that back in the original TFC days, but I'd bet it's even older than that.
Promit
Promit
Quote:
Original post by Rixter
I remember people saying that back in the original TFC days, but I'd bet it's even older than that.
It's gotta be. TFC is very young compared to, say, Warcraft 1.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.