Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

making a game

Started by 40cal Aug 28, 2007 at 5:42 PM 9 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
40cal
40cal
Have you guys ever thought of making a game yourselves, when I say you guys I'm referring to the people on this forum.
Naxos
Naxos
When I first read this sentence I thought you meant "all by yourself"... but after reading it again I'm thinking you mean the members of the forum coming together as a team to create a game.

I've not been here for the entire history of gdnet, so I can't say yes or no for sure. However, from a certain perspective, yes, since the people who join teams in the Help Wanted forums are all members of the forum. While it isn't the Whole of the membership, it is a subset of it. A game created by thousands (or millions?) of us would probably be highly difficult to manage -- I can't imagine how you'd split the workload! :)

Maybe someone else can better answer this question.
violentcrayon
violentcrayon
If all of GameDev came together to make one game, it would suck.

No offense, of course. But there's too many of us new guys (MYSELF INCLUDED!). As mentioned by Naxos, management would be impossible. Design would be a headache. How could every single member of this forum agree on the same genre, ruleset, etc...?

If you meant making games solo, yeah, most of us do.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
JohnBolton
JohnBolton
That's an odd question. Check out the Help Wanted forum for your answer.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
dashurc
dashurc
The problem is, 99.9% of the people on this board are 12 year olds with no programming experience (or any experience for that matter) who want to make an MMORPG that rivals WoW. No one who actually knows what they're doing is willing to sign up for that.

I personally hate working remotely with anyone on projects. It's always too much of a hassle, and most people give up or don't deliver.

I'm always working on my own projects. For the first time I actually have something that might turn into a full game (or a least a fully feature implemented demo with only content left to build). I only do this on the side though as I already spend enough hours at work doing game development.
jbadams
jbadams
Quote:
Original post by dashurc
The problem is, 99.9% of the people on this board are 12 year olds with no programming experience (or any experience for that matter) who want to make an MMORPG that rivals WoW.
We do also have some very good projects pass through the forums as well though. A couple of good examples are:

FIFE
Hero Of Allacrost
Sector 13

There are plenty of other very impressive projects, and some smaller ones that only need small amounts of help (Jooleem for example) as well. They are significantly outnumbered by the MMO and similar posts, but there are good projects as well if you look. There are also some members of the site working by themselves or without using HW on some very cool projects - you can often find some of these by taking a look at the developer journals: dgreen02 and Ysaneya are some particularly impressive examples that jump to mind.
- Jason Astle-Adams
computercoder
computercoder
@dashurc: I hear ya on the demo deal! I *think* mine is actually about where yours sounds :P ok... maybe not quite there, but its running with an avatar and some baddies it can defeat. Maps fully scrolling with collisions mostly working properly.

The biggest problem is the content. You need good tools to design the worlds, then you still need sound fx and music. Whoops... forgot... you need decent GFX as well :) All that takes time. LOTS of time!

I've worked for 8+ months now on my "game", and its to where I'm speaking. I had to create tools to handle the world design, still need to create graphics, and gather up music and more sounds.

If you'd like, check out my stuff: www.computercoder.org

Couldn't tell you how many times I've stopped and started games. Mainly b/c I was missing tools.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Am I the only one in this thread who remembers the previous GDNet group project (I think it was a Gauntlet clone)?

It doesn't work to have a large-scale group project like this because there's no fascism at the top. Everyone competent enough to lead a large-scale group project is already working on their own projects.

If the intent of the thread is to ask if anyone is actually writing games here, tons of people are. The journals are packed solid of oscillating excuses for laziness and beautiful screenshots.
spikes of christ
spikes of christ
Quote:
Original post by dashurc
The problem is, 99.9% of the people on this board are 12 year olds with no programming experience (or any experience for that matter) who want to make an MMORPG that rivals WoW. No one who actually knows what they're doing is willing to sign up for that.

I lol'ed cause it's so true.

I have thought about making my own games, but never from scratch. I start working on open source projects that crashed or I use ID Software's games, but I always get enthusiastic about it and then give up when it comes to having people help model or map.
computercoder
computercoder
I agree its true :P I personally never joined in the community projects b/c I always watched them flop. I don't plan on wasting my efforts and time b/c some others will.

In fact, despite my inability to draw, I draw my own stuff now. Something I never thought I'd do. I'm sure people will laugh at what I've made while others might like it. Either way, my project continues to move forward and will eventually become reality. The worst part now is music and sounds. I found several sites with these and services to create them for me (yeah, for a price). I suppose at some point, the maps will be easier as my editor evolves. Hopefully my artwork does the same :D Oh well.

If a solid project rose up and I knew without a doubt it would evetually complete, then I'd participate; otherwise, I'll stay solo.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.