Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

Python IDE

Started by MrRage Nov 21, 2007 at 11:23 AM 2 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
MrRage
MrRage
How much would you pay for a really good Python only IDE? I think $30.00 is a fair price for a python only IDE. TextMate is about $60 bucks and was nice as a text editor but I thought it was lacking too much as a total package, but it can parse a whole lot of different languages so that justify its price tag I thought. Ideally I want a package that is easy to use, gives me flow control , allows me to search for anything, flag the number of times a variable is used, fast text completion , create modules, and finally integrate into a local compiler and let me work with Cython out of box - even select a module and convert it to Cython if at all possible. Maybe even offer virtual modules so you can author a script outside of an embedded python application. A little bit of extra work to do I'm sure, but I think that would be handy.
Enrico
Enrico
It depends on the IDE. If it is not better than Eric or SPE... 0€. If it definitely has something useful to offer, then max 50€.
--
squishywaffle
squishywaffle
I really prefer Kate (Linux + KDE) or gedit (Linux + Gnome) on the Linux side. I don't really know what you mean by Python IDE, as any decent general programming IDE with syntax hilighting and some indention features is great for me.

On Windows, I'd probably use Eclipse with that Python extension.
Mikle3
Mikle3
I'm a huge fan of Komodo. It has so many features, yet it's not too bloatware-y, and it's not only for python. You can program TCL and Ruby (You can also, but shouldn't, program perl :)). It has a great debugger too. I call it the V(isual)S(tudio) of Python...


There is also an IDE called wings but last time I checked was quite long ago and it crashed like crazy... Now I think I'll review it again.

Mikle
PS - There is also a free (open source) edition of Komodo called OpenKomodo. It has none of the debugging coolness of the big brother, but nonetheless looks very cool.
Mikle

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.